Sticks and stones: Have you ever used branching rock?

Have you ever used branching rock?

• I currently have branching rock in my tank.

Votes: 99 32.6%
  • I have used branching rock in the past.

Votes: 32 10.5%
  • I have not used branching rock, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 54 17.8%
  • I have no plans to use branching rock.

Votes: 114 37.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%

• Total voters

ReefStash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Majority of my scape is branch rock. I mounted a lot of pieces together to make 2 large structures in my 228g.

IMG_6098.jpeg
IMG_6099.jpeg
IMG_6354.png
IMG_6069.jpeg

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won’t use it because I don’t want to contribute to destroying a reef in a third world country. If I want Branching, there’s Aquacultured Stag Horn, Elk Horn, Birdsnest and I now
have a tiny Piece of Aquacultured Finger Coral.

Hhaynie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won’t use it because I don’t want to contribute to destroying a reef in a third world country. If I want Branching, there’s Aquacultured Stag Horn, Elk Horn, Birdsnest and I now
have a tiny Piece of Aquacultured Finger Coral.
I think that it's mostly dry rock being talked about

FitLabb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my sps miracles reboot
mostly real and artificial branch rocks
the problem is finding branch rock now

F0550DD0-90E9-487A-9478-C818E2739C8D.jpeg
That’s a very beautiful scape, and looks like a lot of time and thought went into planning it. Really well done, as I can see how nicely everything is going to grow in. Wish I had a bigger tank like yours to build a big scape like this with a the space to add a diverse group of corals. Feel like branching rock lends itself well to having a wider variety of corals that all have the space and flow they need.

I have a smaller 26 gallon Red Sea Max Nano Peninsula tank that already has live rock in it, but I’m hoping to find some smaller branching rock to add to the tank in the front as an aesthetic island for zoanthids to grow on, but not sure where to find it. Probably need to find something in person or build a structure from smaller pieces if possible due to the limited space I have left…..

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve gone through the Marco rock, bonsai tree ceramics, live Tonga rock complete with a Eunice worm. All stages completed. Now it’s only Tonga branch, the real thing not manmade. I’ve removed a lot to make room for the scolys. It’s a small tank
IMG_0034.jpeg

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a small tank with Fiji rock. Looks nice but if you get hair algae makes it very hard to get rid of it. Also fairly hard to build areas for coral, as I see in the photos

i2ik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building a tank with Tonga branching rocks. Was quite hard to find since we can not get anymore. I like the fact that I can create an aquascape with a small foot print and provide space for flow and corals placement. Fish can also swim in between. Overall, I really like branching rock! It is also different from other reef tank

pufferfish_jake_98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

I’m currently working on a new build for an 32-gallon and I find that the branching rock gives good variety for hiding places, but good water flow. Trying to find a good spot if incorporating it in other aquascaping features could sometimes prove challenging. I’ve seen some good seahorse set ups with them.

Last edited:

pufferfish_jake_98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

I’m currently working on a new build for an 32-gallon and I find that the branching rock gives good variety for hiding places, but good water flow. Trying to find a good spot if incorporating it in other aquascaping features could sometimes prove challenging. I’ve seen some good seahorse set ups with them.
UPDATE— just finished the setup for cycling, I intend to use some of the branch pieces and plating for better hiding spots for fish with soft coral placements around them. The branch pieces just brought me to 1 pound of rock per 1 gallon of water without taking up too much space.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 10

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back