Sticks with spikes on em possible parasite?

Mmar2385

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see these "stick" like structures protruding from my rock. They look like sticks with spikes on them. Anyone know what this is? I've posted this before but it appears they're getting longer, they haven't hurt anything that I know about. My wrasse just swam by them with no issues. Someone said they could be hydroids my tank is newer, was officially restarted in early September. Thanks in advance!
20211020_174504_remastered.jpg

20211020_174504.jpg
20211020_174254_remastered.jpg

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, you'll generally find parasites either directly on the thing they parasitize, or looking for another thing to parasitize. So I would say these are not parasites, given that rock isn't something parasites can feed off of.

I've seen pictures of similar organisms referred to as hydroids. Hydroids are generally not a huge problem- they can sting corals, but many corals will just run over the top of many hydroids.

OP
OP
Mmar2385

Mmar2385

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you'll generally find parasites either directly on the thing they parasitize, or looking for another thing to parasitize. So I would say these are not parasites, given that rock isn't something parasites can feed off of.

I've seen pictures of similar organisms referred to as hydroids. Hydroids are generally not a huge problem- they can sting corals, but many corals will just run over the top of many hydroids.
Ok, good news that rocks can't grow parasites lol I used the wrong term. After all, I am new to this community and to the hobby which I respect greatly! Thank you for your input.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
"Parasite" in biology generally refers to a creature which lives on and feeds off of other creatures, and is adapted to that lifestyle. For example, mistletoe. It's a parasitic plant that grows on trees, feeds on their sap, and is rooted into the bark instead of into any dirt. Or there's ich, which lives in the skin of fish to feed off of them. Many parasites don't kill their host, but some may be lethal if there are too many (fleas can kill a severely infested animal via anemia), and some do wind up killing the host.

It is theoretically possible for a rock to bring in a parasite, but you wouldn't expect to see the parasite then grow and reproduce while living exclusively on the rock. You might have been looking for the term "pest"? That just refers to any unwanted organism.

Hopefully this has been at least a bit interesting to read. I like to tell people things about nature, particularly the lesser-known or less enjoyed types. Here's a tidbit; there are species of parasitic wasp which lay their eggs on the eggs, larvae, or pupae of other species. The larvae hatch and burrow into whatever they're on, then eventually pupate (chrysalis) and grow into wasps. It's thought that, for every single species of insect, there is an individual species of parasitic wasp that feeds on only that species of insect.

OP
OP
Mmar2385

Mmar2385

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Parasite" in biology generally refers to a creature which lives on and feeds off of other creatures, and is adapted to that lifestyle. For example, mistletoe. It's a parasitic plant that grows on trees, feeds on their sap, and is rooted into the bark instead of into any dirt. Or there's ich, which lives in the skin of fish to feed off of them. Many parasites don't kill their host, but some may be lethal if there are too many (fleas can kill a severely infested animal via anemia), and some do wind up killing the host.

It is theoretically possible for a rock to bring in a parasite, but you wouldn't expect to see the parasite then grow and reproduce while living exclusively on the rock. You might have been looking for the term "pest"? That just refers to any unwanted organism.

Hopefully this has been at least a bit interesting to read. I like to tell people things about nature, particularly the lesser-known or less enjoyed types. Here's a tidbit; there are species of parasitic wasp which lay their eggs on the eggs, larvae, or pupae of other species. The larvae hatch and burrow into whatever they're on, then eventually pupate (chrysalis) and grow into wasps. It's thought that, for every single species of insect, there is an individual species of parasitic wasp that feeds on only that species of insect.
Yes pest was the word I was looking for. Thank you!

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you possibly get a clearer picture? It's possible that they could be a variety of benthic formaniferan. Harmless filter feeders.

OP
OP
Mmar2385

Mmar2385

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you possibly get a clearer picture? It's possible that they could be a variety of benthic formaniferan. Harmless filter feeders.
I hope that's the case. I cannot get a better picture, I tried. Maybe I should invest in a high end camera since all i have is a Samsung phone.

Critteraholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope that's the case. I cannot get a better picture, I tried. Maybe I should invest in a high end camera since all i have is a Samsung phone
I have a samsung as well. You can turn your lights to just white. 50/50 depending on your lights. Turn off your tank lights and turn on room lights. Works 90% for me. And then there's the old flashlight pic. Also turn your tank lights off unless you've got a killer flashlight. This is also a 50/50 shot. Oh, and sometimes turning the pumps off helps. Good luck!

Back