StikHeds 122 gal rimless w/ custom sump

helldiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I agree,I really like the way Ron went into detail on his whole system and thought of almost everything.Organizing your thoughts was awesome. SO much detail time and preparation went into Ron's tank.Thank you for sharing all your build with us.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I received my last two components yesterday, my doser stand and my overflow cover. I should of took some pics of the stand before I installed it but I was too eager to get it installed, so you get pics of it after the fact.

IMG_3239.JPG

IMG_3240.JPG

IMG_3243.JPG

I have my lines routed for the Alk, Cal and Mag from the dosing containers and I also have an extra line ran for the ZeoStart.
IMG_3244.JPG

Here is a pic of the overflow cover installed.

IMG_3245.JPG

Here is an image of under the tank completed, Super Clean! I still need to route the dosing lines from the doser to the sump still.

IMG_3242.JPG
:rolleyes:ur OCD's (attention to detail) just as bad as mine is; stellar job!

Thomthom329

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Re: your dry rock, did you 'cook' them first to purge any potential phosphates within the rock? Doesn't look like it from your pics but thought I'd ask. I'm debating on whether I should cook mine first or not.

w.gurney77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great setup! I spent the same amount as you on the setup of my 93gal cube and 30 gal frag tank. The only way to do it is go all the way. You get what you pay for in this hobby. I'll be following your build. Can't wait to see your stick selection and grow in.

OP
OP
StikHedRon

StikHedRon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Re: your dry rock, did you 'cook' them first to purge any potential phosphates within the rock? Doesn't look like it from your pics but thought I'd ask. I'm debating on whether I should cook mine first or not.
No, I did nothing with the rock. We'll see if it begins to leach PO4. Marco isn't supposed to, but all the rock companies say theirs won't leach PO4.

OP
OP
StikHedRon

StikHedRon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great setup! I spent the same amount as you on the setup of my 93gal cube and 30 gal frag tank. The only way to do it is go all the way. You get what you pay for in this hobby. I'll be following your build. Can't wait to see your stick selection and grow in.
Thanks! Yeah, I tried to buy all my large purchases on sale. The only high dollar item I didn't get less than msrp was the Doser

w.gurney77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saving money where you can leaves more money for corals! I have a friend who was a rep for Hamilton lighting and got my lighting, chiller and 2 mp40s at wholesale prices. Then I spent the savings on stocking the tank.

Any new pics with the tank full?

OP
OP
StikHedRon

StikHedRon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saving money where you can leaves more money for corals! I have a friend who was a rep for Hamilton lighting and got my lighting, chiller and 2 mp40s at wholesale prices. Then I spent the savings on stocking the tank.

Any new pics with the tank full?
Here you go, just took them
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

w.gurney77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What setting do you have those mp40s on? With all four on full blast you probably get quite a bit of wave action. Good thing you went bare bottom!

OP
OP
StikHedRon

StikHedRon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What setting do you have those mp40s on? With all four on full blast you probably get quite a bit of wave action. Good thing you went bare bottom!
Edited this to correct Nutrient percentage: Currently my highest is 70%, that's on reefcrest and tidal swell. I will make adjusts if I need to when I start stocking the tank. My night mode is 30%, lagoon is 50% and nutrient is 50%
image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
StikHedRon

StikHedRon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is still cycling, measure Ammonia and Nitrites yesterday and the Ammonia wasn't bad, but the Nitrites were at 1ppm. Using API tests for the cycle. Once the Nitrites drop I will dose ammonia again and see how long it takes to process it to Nitrates. Once it can process it in 12-24hrs it should be good to go. Then I'll begin the Zeovit 14 day cycle.

OP
OP
StikHedRon

StikHedRon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I really love my sump setup! I had my RODI storage container added to my sump and added a few float switches a bulkhead and connected my rodi filter directly to it. It holds about 19 gallons and this morning it finally got low enough for the float switch to trigger the filter to kick on. Total of 14 days to empty it! No more worrying about top off water when I go on Vacations! That was the worst part about having a tank and dealing with vacations. I would have to fill a trash can manually then add my top off pump suction line to it and hope that it would stay submerged the whole time. During my build planning, largest RODI storage container possible was a requirement. Looks like it paid off!

OP
OP
StikHedRon

StikHedRon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my Nitrites are still high, I think my cycle may have stalled out a bit. I am leaving for vacation on Sunday. Hopefully the Trites have dropped when we get back. Then I'll dose ammonia again and see if it can process it in less than 24 hrs.

ReeferEric

Resident Reef Junky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just reread it all, awesome progression. Looking forward to see what goes in the tank.

OP
OP
StikHedRon

StikHedRon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome Stik! Whats your stocking plans for this bad boy?
Well the main plan is All Sps, but I'm thinking of adding some Acanthophilia in there also. For fish, My plan is Anthias, Dart fish, Butterfly fish and a few other small fish. All fish as docile as possible, my last tank had some aggressive fish and it was a pain so this time around I don't want any aggressive fish.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back