Still amazes me!! Fish jumpers can find that one spot!!!

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just needed to vent. It simply amazes me how a fish can find that one 1 inch by 2 inch hole in a lid to jump to its death. So frustrating!! I don't even see them jump, do they wait for us to walk away? lol what do I need to do plastic wrap the top. lol. Diamond Goby btw if interested

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s always that one that jumps out.

OP
OP
moz71

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well picking up another from my supplier tonight and will be stuffing the hole with towel/ something. they must get some bad headaches by trying every other spot. lol

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is completely covered with a glass top and although I have never had a fish jump out of my tank, I did have a Diamond Watchman Goby who still managed to find a way to get into my overflow. There is at most 3/4 of an inch between the top of my weir and my top, so I have no idea how it got through. What i would recommend is to cover the hole with screen if you can as that should fix the problem.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen them swim around near the surface looking for holes.

I guess some of them don't care for our glass boxes and are looking for a way back to the big blue...

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen them swim around near the surface looking for holes.

I guess some of them don't care for our glass boxes and are looking for a way back to the big blue...
Just like Finding Nemo

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a six line jump through 1/8" screen mesh. Found it laying on top of screen. How dare they think they need a bigger tank...

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
forfeild.gif

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only jumper I've lost was also a diamond goby. The first night I had him, he managed to get out through what might have been a 1/4" gap between my cover and the HOB. I've always wondered how many tries it took him.

For the past 8 months I've been open top with no jumpers

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yep...all fish are jumpers...except that one you wish would jump. LOL

huckjai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just needed to vent. It simply amazes me how a fish can find that one 1 inch by 2 inch hole in a lid to jump to its death. So frustrating!! I don't even see them jump, do they wait for us to walk away? lol what do I need to do plastic wrap the top. lol. Diamond Goby btw if interested

Sorry for your loss. Sounds like something that would happen to me. I was redoing my rock work last night, and noticed my diamond goby was missing. Looked throughout my tank for 20 minutes, looking at every nook and cranny, and then looked all over the floor. Thought he may have jumped. Couldn't find him, but saw him out and about the next morning. I know they like to jump, so I got worried. Hope you get a new one. They are awesome fish. My first one died in quarantine. I think he jumped and bashed his head so hard on the lid and ko'd himself.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. Sounds like something that would happen to me. I was redoing my rock work last night, and noticed my diamond goby was missing. Looked throughout my tank for 20 minutes, looking at every nook and cranny, and then looked all over the floor. Thought he may have jumped. Couldn't find him, but saw him out and about the next morning. I know they like to jump, so I got worried. Hope you get a new one. They are awesome fish. My first one died in quarantine. I think he jumped and bashed his head so hard on the lid and ko'd himself.

I had a scissortail dartfish that did that a couple of times in my old 36 gallon bowfront. Hit the lid super hard and it made a loud bang against the lid. It was skinny (like all Scissortail Dartfish) and maybe 3 inches long at most. Couldn't believe how fast and how much force that little thing could hit a lid with. The second time it never recovered from it completely. I took it back to my LFS to see if a change in venue would help and it died within 24 hours (it was in pretty bad shape when I took it there so I figured I had nothing to lose).

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%
Back