Still confused about fleece filters

Tomark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to keep a my 4 chamber sump and replace the socks with a fleece filter. Are people cutting out the sock holders to make room? Not sure of the best path.

Solution
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are four options:

1) drop-in replacements for filter sock - these are products like the Klir DI-4 and DI-7 (to replace 4" or 7" filter socks, respectively). This is the easiest solution as you do not need to modify your sump or plumbing. However, my experience with this product was not great - I found them to be very unreliable and a total pain in the neck to change the fleece. Nonetheless, you can find them here:

2) In-sump fleece rollers - These are products like the Theiling Compact Rollermat that are designed to fit inside you sump, wherever you can find room for them. While you do need to modify you...

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends a lot on your sump and the filter you are trying to adapt.
A picture is worth a 1000 words here

Upvote 0

TexanCanuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are four options:

1) drop-in replacements for filter sock - these are products like the Klir DI-4 and DI-7 (to replace 4" or 7" filter socks, respectively). This is the easiest solution as you do not need to modify your sump or plumbing. However, my experience with this product was not great - I found them to be very unreliable and a total pain in the neck to change the fleece. Nonetheless, you can find them here:

2) In-sump fleece rollers - These are products like the Theiling Compact Rollermat that are designed to fit inside you sump, wherever you can find room for them. While you do need to modify you drain plumbing (i.e. from the overflow to the sump) to accommodate them, they are relatively easy to install since they drain right into the sump. However, you do need to find room for them! If the first section of your sump doesn't have enough space, then you're right - you would need to modify the sock compartment to get them to fit. You can find these here:

3) External fleece rollers - These are products like the original Theiling Rollermat which installed in the drain line between the overflow and the sump but in a box that was external to the sump itself. These units required some creative plumbing (they were large and needed to site ABOVE the sump) and oftentimes were difficult to find room for in the stand. To the best of my knowledge, this product has been discontinued.

4) integral sump with fleece roller - there are only 2 that I am currently aware of - the Trigger "platinum" line of sumps, and the Royal Exclusiv "Dreamboxen". In both cases, this is a completely new sump where everything required to run the fleece roll is built-in. While this is the most expensive option and requires the most work (you have to completely remove your existing sump!), they work the best (in my opinion). Between the two options (Trigger Systems vs. Royal Exclusiv), the Trigger Platinum sump is the option of us mere mortals - the Royal Exclusiv can cost upwards of $8K! Here's a link to the Trigger Systems Platinum 39

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tomark

Tomark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are four options:

2) In-sump fleece rollers - These are products like the Theiling Compact Rollermat that are designed to fit inside you sump, wherever you can find room for them. While you do need to modify you drain plumbing (i.e. from the overflow to the sump) to accommodate them, they are relatively easy to install since they drain right into the sump. However, you do need to find room for them! If the first section of your sump doesn't have enough space, then you're right - you would need to modify the sock compartment to get them to fit. You can find these here:

3) External fleece rollers - These are products like the original Theiling Rollermat which installed in the drain line between the overflow and the sump but in a box that was external to the sump itself. These units required some creative plumbing (they were large and needed to site ABOVE the sump) and oftentimes were difficult to find room for in the stand. To the best of my knowledge, this product has been discontinued.

4) integral sump with fleece roller - there are only 2 that I am currently aware of - the Trigger "platinum" line of sumps, and the Royal Exclusiv "Dreamboxen". In both cases, this is a completely new sump where everything required to run the fleece roll is built-in. While this is the most expensive option and requires the most work (you have to completely remove your existing sump!), they work the best (in my opinion). Between the two options (Trigger Systems vs. Royal Exclusiv), the Trigger Platinum sump is the option of us mere mortals - the Royal Exclusiv can cost upwards of $8K! Here's a link to the Trigger Systems Platinum 39

Thank you -Perfect! Good info and I sincerely appreciate it. I saw the trigger platinum and was looking for a way to keep my current sump, but the value of the Platinum ...long term, seems to good to beat.

Upvote 0
Solution

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tomark if you want to keep your existing sump and there are already sock rings you might want to consider a Klir. I installed a Klir-7 about six months ago. After a few installation challenges unique to my sump it was a great change.

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back