Still confused about testing

Blue Meg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i only live a few blocks from my lfs and they test for free. But one day someone was talking about pH, calcium, and alkalinity.

I used to assume that pH and alkalinity were the same thing as they were often used interchangeably in chem lab in college. A solution with a pH of 12 was an alkaline solution for example. Now it seems to be calcium? And then they also did a calcium test? What gives?

K. Steven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkalinity, in terms of reef aquariums, means the total carbonate and bicarbonate concentration in the water. Carbonate (CO3^2-) combines with calcium (Ca^2+) to form the hard skeleton of stony corals. It is important to maintain these concentrations to provide these types of corals the elements they need to continuously build their skeletons.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i only live a few blocks from my lfs and they test for free. But one day someone was talking about pH, calcium, and alkalinity.

I used to assume that pH and alkalinity were the same thing as they were often used interchangeably in chem lab in college. A solution with a pH of 12 was an alkaline solution for example. Now it seems to be calcium? And then they also did a calcium test? What gives?
Try this: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/o...-reef-aquarium-by-randy-holmes-farley.173563/

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back