Still cycling?

Dquad18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am now at about the 4 week mark for my tank cycle and algae is starting to really take off, my problem is that my tank is still having trouble getting the nitrite down. I dosed 2 ppm ammonia last night and 24 hour later I still had presence of nitrite (looks to be about 5 ppm) am I doing something wrong? Or is it still just taking time?

A0FA297D-B3C9-4537-A679-E4AE32F02715.jpeg image.jpg

Seadoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based solely on those test results, your system is still cycling. I am assuming you are following the instructions from Dr. Tim's website? (those are the only instructions I am aware of that advice adding 2ppm ammonia, expecting low Nitrite and Ammonia in 24hrs if the tank is cycled). What was your ammonia reading before you added the 2ppm?

About the algae, you should not need the lights to be on during cycling, that should prevent/delay the development of algae in the tank.

OP
OP
Dquad18

Dquad18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based solely on those test results, your system is still cycling. I am assuming you are following the instructions from Dr. Tim's website? (those are the only instructions I am aware of that advice adding 2ppm ammonia, expecting low Nitrite and Ammonia in 24hrs if the tank is cycled). What was your ammonia reading before you added the 2ppm?

About the algae, you should not need the lights to be on during cycling, that should prevent/delay the development of algae in the tank.
Before I added more Dr. Tim’s the ammonia and nitrite levels were both zero, also I’ll probably test the parameter again tomorrow morning, if they are at zero should I dose more ammonia?

Seadoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few questions that may help diagnose the issue:

1. How much ammonia did you add to the system? You stated that you added 2ppm of ammonia, but what does that mean for your system? How many drops/mililiters of ammonia to what volume of water? Did you account for the rock and sand when you calculated your water volume? A tool for calculating water volume can be found here: http://reef.diesyst.com/volcalc/volcalc.html

2. What kind of ammonia source are you using? Dr. Tim's ammonium chloride? If so, is it the new concentration or the old one?

3. You stated your ammonia and nitrite were 0 prior to adding Dr. TIm's, but what were the water parameters before you added 2ppm of ammonia? Are you measuring any other parameters (pH,salinity, nitrate,)?

One of the factors that can stall cycling is high levels of either ammonia, nitrites or a low pH. If that is the case a water change may help to reduce them.

OP
OP
Dquad18

Dquad18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few questions that may help diagnose the issue:

1. How much ammonia did you add to the system? You stated that you added 2ppm of ammonia, but what does that mean for your system? How many drops/mililiters of ammonia to what volume of water? Did you account for the rock and sand when you calculated your water volume? A tool for calculating water volume can be found here: http://reef.diesyst.com/volcalc/volcalc.html

2. What kind of ammonia source are you using? Dr. Tim's ammonium chloride? If so, is it the new concentration or the old one?

3. You stated your ammonia and nitrite were 0 prior to adding Dr. TIm's, but what were the water parameters before you added 2ppm of ammonia? Are you measuring any other parameters (pH,salinity, nitrate,)?

One of the factors that can stall cycling is high levels of either ammonia, nitrites or a low pH. If that is the case a water change may help to reduce them.
1. The tank is 15 gallons so I added 4 drops a gallon as stated on the bottle, however i didnt account for the rock and sand volume, never actually heard of that before but ill definitely look more into it
2.Yes im using Dr. Tims, to be honest I didnt know there was a new and old concentration, so I'm not sure which one I have
3. Nitrates were high, but ever since algae started they have come down, and based on the tests look to be in the 20ppm range, Salinity is roughly 33ppt and last time I checked the pH is was around 8.1-8.2, but ill test that again today.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Seadoc has you pretty well covered.
The Nitrite converting bac can take a little longer to establish. That was the case for me too.
Don't worry. You're close. A week on the outside.. maybe this weekend :)

OP
OP
Dquad18

Dquad18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Seadoc has you pretty well covered.
The Nitrite converting bac can take a little longer to establish. That was the case for me too.
Don't worry. You're close. A week on the outside.. maybe this weekend :)
Haha thanks for all the replies y’all, should I still do the water change if the nitrites don’t come down

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really.

You need the Nitrites as food for the nitrite-consuming bacteria to build up their numbers to the point where they can process it as roughly the same speed as the ammonia-eaters.

Just like you wouldn't dose ammonia and then do a WC bc ammonia wasn't coming down.

That's why conventional wisdom says that when Ammonia and Nitrite read 0 within 24 hours of a dose you're "cycled."

Once the nitrite is pretty much gone, you can do water changes to reduce the nitrates.

It's your call on whether to dose ammonia back up to 2ppm and repeat the process. A very conservative approach would be to do so. Chances are you're good to go once nitrite has gone (since you've already dosed twice) but, patience is a virtue and nothing good happens fast in reefing.

OP
OP
Dquad18

Dquad18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really.

You need the Nitrites as food for the nitrite-consuming bacteria to build up their numbers to the point where they can process it as roughly the same speed as the ammonia-eaters.

Just like you wouldn't dose ammonia and then do a WC bc ammonia wasn't coming down.

That's why conventional wisdom says that when Ammonia and Nitrite read 0 within 24 hours of a dose you're "cycled."

Once the nitrite is pretty much gone, you can do water changes to reduce the nitrates.

It's your call on whether to dose ammonia back up to 2ppm and repeat the process. A very conservative approach would be to do so. Chances are you're good to go once nitrite has gone (since you've already dosed twice) but, patience is a virtue and nothing good happens fast in reefing.
Well good news is I just tested again out of curiosity and it looks like the nitrite levels are dropping, so there is presence of nitrite producing bacteria and the cycle isnt stalled. Probably will wait until ammonia and nitrite hit zero and maybe dose another 1 ppm to see how fast it drops

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well good news is I just tested again out of curiosity and it looks like the nitrite levels are dropping, so there is presence of nitrite producing bacteria and the cycle isnt stalled. Probably will wait until ammonia and nitrite hit zero and maybe dose another 1 ppm to see how fast it drops
Awesome! For me, when it started dropping, it fell like a stone! Time for a sick day this friday?
Congrats on outlasting the cycle. Truly one of the most miserable parts of reefing.

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar experience with Dr Tims when I cycled my tank (just recently finished). My tank could eat up 2ppm ammonia just fine but nitrite was sky high. After 2 weeks of that I got impatient and added Bio-Spira and that caused nitrites to drop within a day.

After that I followed the 24hr 2ppm dosing & testing and routine; roughly 10 days later I got to the point where ammonia and nitrite are both processed in 24hrs

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dquad18

Dquad18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! For me, when it started dropping, it fell like a stone! Time for a sick day this friday?
Congrats on outlasting the cycle. Truly one of the most miserable parts of reefing.
Haha Thanks! Im just curious should I do a large water change tomorrow and then get ready to add fish or wait a little longer and see if it can process 1-2ppm of ammonia again? My paintence is growing thin lol

Seadoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha Thanks! Im just curious should I do a large water change tomorrow and then get ready to add fish or wait a little longer and see if it can process 1-2ppm of ammonia again? My paintence is growing thin lol
Great to hear that Nitrite is going down!!! I would wait and see what happens if you add more ammonia accounting for rocks and sand when calculating the water volume.
“Trees that are slow to grow bear the best fruit.”

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. The right answer is always to wait. Like asking a priest if u have to hold out for marriage.

It's more about the mentality people have proven successful w their multi year tanks than your particular circumstance.

A little nitrite will not kill your fish. The risk is u put them in, they struggle or seem sick. You reach out on here for help. Now no one can give u a great answer cuz there are more variables in play.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

• I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

• I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 16.7%
Back