Still haven’t beat Chrysophytes

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had trouble finding info on it back when I had it. Think people also called it golden algae.

OP
OP
Ober_Reef

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had trouble finding info on it back when I had it. Think people also called it golden algae.
I’m going to give Vibrant or the three day black out a try tomorrow and will respond here with my results. Hopefully it will be easier for others to find in the future. The strange thing is it seems like a multiple different solutions have worked for many different people.

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to give Vibrant or the three day black out a try tomorrow and will respond here with my results. Hopefully it will be easier for others to find in the future. The strange thing is it seems like a multiple different solutions have worked for many different people.
I tried the blackout for several days and didn't do anything.

OP
OP
Ober_Reef

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just dosed Vibrant at 1ml per gallon and plan to do it again in a couple days, hoping it will have positive results. I spent over an hour scrubbing and sucking out chrysophytes before my water change today.

OP
OP
Ober_Reef

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two updates….

One my triton test results came in and I was not showing super high silicates. Maybe the chrysophytes were consuming them enough to offset the reading?

Two I’m on my second week of dosing 1ml/gal of vibrant twice a week. This is the first approach that seems to be working as the chrysophytes are coming back much slower. According to some sources it can take up to six weeks to work so I am really hoping for success here. My coral seem to be doing ok and the only side effects I have noticed are my nitrates are running much higher than ever and cyano is now growing on my back glass.

Thanks All !

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious to see how everything progresses. I have what I think are Chrysophytes and I haven’t been able to beat them. They don’t seem to be getting out of control or harming anything. Hoping it stays that way!

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two updates….

One my triton test results came in and I was not showing super high silicates. Maybe the chrysophytes were consuming them enough to offset the reading?

Two I’m on my second week of dosing 1ml/gal of vibrant twice a week. This is the first approach that seems to be working as the chrysophytes are coming back much slower. According to some sources it can take up to six weeks to work so I am really hoping for success here. My coral seem to be doing ok and the only side effects I have noticed are my nitrates are running much higher than ever and cyano is now growing on my back glass.

Thanks All !
Believe I had a small cyano outbreak after vibrant, chemiclean cleaned it right out.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had it and vibrant wiped it out for me. Also affected coralline and coral as well though so be careful. That was the only thing that actually killed it for me though. I tried waiting it out with manual removal and it just hung around. Vibrant nuked it quite nicely.
I noticed this appetite it has for coralline algae as well. I was never really certain how they were cause/effect related though. Did my coralline die for other reasons and then these guys came along to clean up the dead coralline? Or did chrysophytes do the killing?

I still don't know.

I did not suffer any coral loss. Vibrant could have played a part in managing my chrysos away.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two updates….

Thanks All !
How is the 3rd week going?

One little tidbit to share:
On two separate occasions I kinda let the chrysos get ahead of me. Just got tired of basting all the time. Then, I did a super thorough scrub down. You could hardly see through the water.

I had 6 fish die within 10 minutes. Big, healthy fish. Three died another time. Since then, I mostly syphon them out into a sock if I get behind on them.

OP
OP
Ober_Reef

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the 3rd week going?

One little tidbit to share:
On two separate occasions I kinda let the chrysos get ahead of me. Just got tired of basting all the time. Then, I did a super thorough scrub down. You could hardly see through the water.

I had 6 fish die within 10 minutes. Big, healthy fish. Three died another time. Since then, I mostly syphon them out into a sock if I get behind on them.
I’m very close to saying it worked entirely, I have yet to have any issues with coral and my fish are doing great still. Within the last few days since my Sunday dose I have not seen any chrysophytes come back.

Couple of issues right now…

My skimmer has been over filling with white foam for almost a week now so I know my nutrients are more than likely very high.

I don’t know when to stop dosing Vibrant, I will more than likely do another couple doses and stop.

I am getting some cyano now

Finally I am still unsure of the cause of the chrysophytes because my ICP tests before and after the outbreak do not show high silicates. I am going to do another test in a month or so when the chrysophytes are gone to make sure the chysohoytes were not consuming the silicates so efficiently that my levels showed within ok ranges.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m very close to saying it worked entirely, I have yet to have any issues with coral and my fish are doing great still. Within the last few days since my Sunday dose I have not seen any chrysophytes come back.

My skimmer has been over filling with white foam for almost a week now so I know my nutrients are more than likely very high.

I don’t know when to stop dosing Vibrant, I will more than likely do another couple doses and stop.

Finally I am still unsure of the cause of the chrysophytes because my ICP tests before and after the outbreak do not show high silicates. I am going to do another test in a month or so when the chrysophytes are gone to make sure the chysohoytes were not consuming the silicates so efficiently that my levels showed within ok ranges.
Cyano is quick to fill a void. And it loves it when nutrients are bouncing around.

Vibrant is carbon dosing. When carbon dosing, you MUST keep nutrient measurements. For nitrates, any kit will do but Hanna High Range is best. For phosphates, only Hanna ULR will do. If your skimmer is running properly, your nutrient numbers may be running lower than you think. Carbon dosing can pull nitrates down pretty quick with a good skimmer.

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Seems like cyano is typically the result of vibrant. Chemi clean will take care if it for you very easily and then you should be problem free

OP
OP
Ober_Reef

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, chrysophytes seem to be gone but my skimmer is still over flowing so my nutrients are extremely high. I noticed some bubble algae and possible GH Algae yesterday. Any tips? Should I assume the skimmer will get going again once I stop dosing vibrant ?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally I am still unsure of the cause of the chrysophytes because my ICP tests before and after the outbreak do not show high silicates.
To clarify, the group chrysophytes is not a silica-using group.
There used to be an older usage of the term "chrysophytes" to include many golden brown algae - diatoms and some other silica users.

I've seen no reason to think our aquarium chrysophytes are using Si.
if y'all hae seen anything otherwise, I'd be interested.

OP
OP
Ober_Reef

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To clarify, the group chrysophytes is not a silica-using group.
There used to be an older usage of the term "chrysophytes" to include many golden brown algae - diatoms and some other silica users.

I've seen no reason to think our aquarium chrysophytes are using Si.
if y'all hae seen anything otherwise, I'd be interested.
Thank you for this response, honestly I had never heard of chrysophytes before I had them so while I researched what I was battling the Si word was thrown around as an indicator or even a cause as I took it. At this point the chrysophytes are gone but I never found a root cause to learn from and make sure they don’t come back.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are requisite hitchhikers, no param causes them. Since I haven’t added new stock to my tank in a decade it’s physically not possible for my pico to have any invasion other than cyano, gha, green hard dot algae. Those are always associated with reef substrates but all the others are hitchhiked in. It is one million percent not possible for my tank to get a valonia invasion, the dna isn’t available for reprint.

knowing the group of recurring vs requisite hitchhikers sure helps in remediation and control planning.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for this response, honestly I had never heard of chrysophytes before I had them so while I researched what I was battling the Si word was thrown around as an indicator or even a cause as I took it. At this point the chrysophytes are gone but I never found a root cause to learn from and make sure they don’t come back.
And do you attribute their demise to Vibrant or some combination of things?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back