Still new to this but how ugly can ugly get lol

KevPool

Blue-Collar Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heya folks

So I'm still quite new to Reefing and was wondering how ugly can ugly get during the ugly stages of setting up a new tank? Also how long does it usually last my nano tank is looking a bit better now but it's just over 2 months old now. My main system has been up and fully running for 24 days now and I just introduced lighting to it this past weekend. Well lights on sure kicked my ugly stage into action and my rocks and sand are starting to look like poop lol. Any advice on how to stay on top of this would be great thanks.
PXL_20210120_224035443.jpg

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can see is diatoms caused by silicates which is normal on a new cycling tank and they will burn themselves out. just keep on monitoring your parameters everything is on track by the looks of it.

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, just a natural part of starting a tank. They should disappear over time. If they don’t, check your RODI filter for your top-off water and make sure you keep up on your water changes with that.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It can be all covered in brown and even attain red which is cyano.
With reduced white lights and increased water flow, possibility of both is reduced drastically.

This is worse case:

1611184757169.png

Typical:

1611184811917.png

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

to see how bad it can get

and if you read the sublink, you will see it getting fixed.

when we power cycled your reef, that stuck the bacteria on permanently no matter how much you insult them by cleaning. so, we take advantage of that and make insulting cleaning runs.

OP
OP
KevPool

KevPool

Blue-Collar Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it was just a hint of brown yesterday then I get home from work today and thought to myself wow that escalated fast lol. It didn't happen this fast in the nano but hey if it all turns pink later I will ride it out. Parameters are all good so far tad high with nitrate at 10 but nothing crazy.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was expecting:
d1.png

courtesy reefmiser, nano reef.com, first peroxide tank Id ever seen in my life.

changed to:

d2.png

there is no particular doser you need to use, just use anything that hammer mows out the invader and dispatch them without waiting, when ready.

its not illegal for you to lift up a rock, be mean to it externally, then set it back all shiny.

fishhead1973

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heya folks

So I'm still quite new to Reefing and was wondering how ugly can ugly get during the ugly stages of setting up a new tank? Also how long does it usually last my nano tank is looking a bit better now but it's just over 2 months old now. My main system has been up and fully running for 24 days now and I just introduced lighting to it this past weekend. Well lights on sure kicked my ugly stage into action and my rocks and sand are starting to look like poop lol. Any advice on how to stay on top of this would be great thanks.
PXL_20210120_224035443.jpg
feel sorry for the coral to soon only 24 days in. Best bet sell them coral before they die because your tank is so imbalance right now . 7 months from now you can add some fish and corals

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
feel sorry for the coral to soon only 24 days in. Best bet sell them coral before they die because your tank is so imbalance right now . 7 months from now you can add some fish and corals

I am new to this but I disagree.

I have corals in my 2 month old tank and they are doing fine. I also have a load of corals in a completely uncycled tank (that’s another story) and they are also doing fine.

I wouldn’t want anything that needs ultra stable parameters but hardy softies and LPs should be ok IMO.

fishhead1973

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have corals in my 2 month old tank and they are doing fine. I also have a load of corals in a completely uncycled tank (that’s another story) and they are also doing fine.

I wouldn’t want anything that needs ultra stable parameters but hardy softies and LPs should be ok IMO.
but, in a tank that small it needs time hope alI goes well. With all your corals two months in good luck algae will take a foot hold be ready month 4 and 5 is going to be a pain.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotta disagree with this too.

You don't need 8 months before adding fish and corals.

Once your tank is cycled, it is cycled. It will go through ugly phases - but that's just it, ugly phases. Doesn't mean it'll hurt fish and corals.

fishhead1973

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotta disagree with this too.

You don't need 8 months before adding fish and corals.

Once your tank is cycled, it is cycled. It will go through ugly phases - but that's just it, ugly phases. Doesn't mean it'll hurt fish and corals.
The ugly phases most of the time will kill corals or stress them out. I never said it would effect fish. Trying to keep u guys from wasting time and money.

fishhead1973

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Your tank still has a long way to go be ready.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ugly phases most of the time will kill corals or stress them out. I never said it would effect fish. Trying to keep u guys from wasting time and money.
Oh I presumed when you said it is going through imbalances and op can't add fish or corals for the next seven months, I presume the inability to add is because of the imbalances.

Anyways ugly phases would only kill corals if they get out of hand and the corals get smothered. Otherwise they're just different organisms living in the same tank at the same time.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back