Still new to this but how ugly can ugly get lol

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"The uglies" is not what kills fish and corals. The algae and cyano is part of the natural reef.

What kills corals is the same thing that causes the ugliest - namely, an unstable tank where your nutrient cycle has not matured to a point where biodiversity can keep everything in check and maintain stability.

In young tanks, this biodiversity is generally lacking so generally its less likely to be stable and more risk of coral dying. This doesn't mean all corals in young tanks will die, and there are other artificial methods of mitigating instability and reduce your chances of failure.

This si why some say wait a few months bc in young tanks, esp ones that use dry rock and has sand, it takes a few months for nutrient to even fully saturate the substrate so any "test reading" you get in the first 3 - 5 months isn't really giving you the full picture of what yiur tank is really doing bc a lot of what you are testing for isn't in the water but instead is absorbed in the substrate. This is why people often get to a situation where they think everything is fine, then 5 to 8 months later they suddenly get a bad case of round 2 uglies and corals dying and they didn't change anything in their routine. This happens when yiur new rocks and substrate finally reached saturation and all the "false sense of everything going well"in the first few moths rear its ugly head. This is where the anecdotal "wait eight months" comes from. There is some truth in that just based on all the "help my tank is doing fine the suddenly everything crashed and I have algae everywhere" posts that we have seen over the years.

Patients is key. If you really understand the biochemistry and what the various nutrient interaction that occurs in your tank, then there are ways to make successful tank and add corals on day one. But generally speaking new reefers do not understand that so impatience and adding corals too soon leads to more failures than success.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heya folks

So I'm still quite new to Reefing and was wondering how ugly can ugly get during the ugly stages of setting up a new tank? Also how long does it usually last my nano tank is looking a bit better now but it's just over 2 months old now. My main system has been up and fully running for 24 days now and I just introduced lighting to it this past weekend. Well lights on sure kicked my ugly stage into action and my rocks and sand are starting to look like poop lol. Any advice on how to stay on top of this would be great thanks.
PXL_20210120_224035443.jpg
I love the rock scape. How's the tank doing a few months later now?

OP
OP
KevPool

KevPool

Blue-Collar Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the rock scape. How's the tank doing a few months later now?
Thanks man, seems to be doing great the ugly stage went away a few weeks ago seemed to just happen over night it was kinda cool. when I get a chance I will update my build thread with an updated pic. my fuge is freaken awesome right now chaeto is growing really well and my pods are blooming in there which is good as they keep my Dragonet well fed, he's gotta be one of my fav fish so far.

Attachments

• Dragonet.jpg
    Dragonet.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 37

alpha199

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank doesn't look bad at all. But this could just be the beginning of the "ugly phase".

jarviz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can see is diatoms caused by silicates which is normal on a new cycling tank and they will burn themselves out. just keep on monitoring your parameters everything is on track by the looks of it.
where does silicates come from in the first place if we're using live rock/sand and ro/di water?

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll say that’s not ugly. A tank full of dead fish is ugly. Doing it right isn’t ugly. Just maybe ‘a tank only a mother can love’ lol. Bet you can’t wait to put something in there.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back