Still trying to figure out what this is

rob safron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Per the title, I cant seem to figure out what is growing on my rocks and back wall. It is a deep purple/red alge. It is not a mat like cyno, can’t be blown off. Tried red slime remover and that did not touch this. It is hairy but not long, very very short hairs. No bubbles on it per se. it is spreading. This is the best close up pic I can get.

96E6705D-96CA-43DC-8F16-BECB5DC1A701.jpeg

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Per the title, I cant seem to figure out what is growing on my rocks and back wall. It is a deep purple/red alge. It is not a mat like cyno, can’t be blown off. Tried red slime remover and that did not touch this. It is hairy but not long, very very short hairs. No bubbles on it per se. it is spreading. This is the best close up pic I can get.

96E6705D-96CA-43DC-8F16-BECB5DC1A701.jpeg
@mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More snails.

More variety of snails.

Can't count omnivores like crabs or detritivores like nassarius. Only count herbivores like turbo, astrea, trochus, cerith.

Can you post about the tank's history, some test results and any other relevant details about the tank you know?

OP
OP
rob safron

rob safron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure. This tank has had water in it for 15 years. Mostly LPS nd softies for those years. I have converted it to mostly SPS 3 years ago and tried to do it on phases as to not throw my balance out. I also use Aquaforest for 3 parts, additives and do use vinegar to help with nutrients. Last few ICP test show most everything is in a good zone. What wasent I do dose. My parameters are pH 7.8-8.1; Alk 7.5; Ca 440 mg 1400. For the last few years I have kept Nitrates at 1ish and phosphates 0.01-0.02. During my last rock change it did throw things off a bit, got rid of rock that had softies on and added dry rock. Over the last 6 months I have been getting green bubble algea, a little green turf and now a major red turf that seems to be spreading still. Tried upping nitrates for a short time wihich seemed to make the algea growth worse.

EFCCE323-CF35-4986-A14A-52840A8643EC.jpeg

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got rid of rock that had softies on and added dry rock. Over the last 6 months I have been getting green bubble algea, a little green turf and now a major red turf that seems to be spreading still. Tried upping nitrates for a short time wihich seemed to make the algea growth worse.

The dead rock is the problem, if that's not already apparent. ;)

What's your CUC like?

Are you able to manually remove this stuff from the rocks if you use your fingers like they were tweezers?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back