Stock List Critiques Please :)

Kal93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank will be a 29G (30x12x18") with 20G sump, mixed reef. Sump will have a refugium for pods, plus other pod cultures.

I will be adding:
2 Harlequin shrimp
3 Sexy shrimp
1 Skunk cleaner shrimp

Fish I am thinking of adding (in the order I would add them):
1 Blue-green chromis
1 Randall's anthias
1 Orchid dottyback
1 Mandarin dragonet
1 Flameback angel or cherub angel

Would these work with my tank dimensions, and would aggression be dispersed, or is a single species likely to be trouble/a target? I'm hoping that there will be enough territory and zones (bottom/rockwork/top) to prevent disputes.

Thanks!

clipperking

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank will be a 29G (30x12x18") with 20G sump, mixed reef. Sump will have a refugium for pods, plus other pod cultures.

I will be adding:
2 Harlequin shrimp
3 Sexy shrimp
1 Skunk cleaner shrimp

1 Blue-green chromis
1 Randall's anthias
1 Orchid dottyback
1 Mandarin dragonet

Would these work with my tank dimensions, and would aggression be dispersed, or is a single species likely to be trouble/a target? I'm hoping that there will be enough territory and zones (bottom/rockwork/top) to prevent disputes.

Thanks!
It will never work! harliquin shrimp only eat starfish. So they will be a waste if money. Your fish are going to fight all-day. You planning on having mixed reef, cause a couple of those eat Coral. It will be very disappointing, and don't listen to the fish store employees do your home work

OP
OP
K

Kal93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will never work! harliquin shrimp only eat starfish. So they will be a waste if money. Your fish are going to fight all-day. You planning on having mixed reef, cause a couple of those eat Coral. It will be very disappointing, and don't listen to the fish store employees do your home work
I am aware of how to care for harlequin shrimp and am planning on housing my angel with LSP/SPS frags in QT to make sure that it won't harm coral, since each angel seems to vary in their tastes (in addition to how well fed they are).

My question was regarding the fish. I have read that they are generally compatible in other tanks, but am not sure of how aggressive these fish are and whether they would be compatible given my tank's dimensions. If you have suggestions for which fish to remove from the list and make a peaceful/semi-aggressive stock "work", that would be appreciated rather than general "it won't work".

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I will be adding:
2 Harlequin shrimp
3 Sexy shrimp
1 Skunk cleaner shrimp

1 Blue-green chromis
1 Randall's anthias
1 Orchid dottyback
1 Mandarin dragonet

Thanks!

Based on tank size recommendations a 29g is going to be too small for both the Anthias and the Angel. If you look at LA they list a 70 gallon tank for the Anthias and 55 for the Angel. They just need more swimming room than you’ll have available. Are you looking for those fish to be active swimmers? You might consider a fairy wrasse. There are a few that can live happily in a 29 gallon tank. I hope that helps.

OP
OP
K

Kal93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually originally planned 1 fairy and 1 flasher wrasse, but just had 2 pintail fairies die in QT and have since sworn off wrasses :( Beautiful, personable fish though. Any ideas for other active swimmers?

Thanks for the note on anthias and angel!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 44.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back