Stocking 180g tangs, Arothron Puffers?

Naso110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm about to finally fill my 180 in the next few days. It's gonna be a handful of large fish instead of a typical large tank with tons of smaller fish. So I really want to try a school of tangs. I'm thinking sailfins since yellows,purples,gems are out of my price range in quantity. So has anyone tried a school of any type of tangs? If so how many and any issues? Also want a male and female Arothron Puffer pair. I also have a pink tail trigger that is outgrown my 110 so he's definitely going to be transferred. Any thoughts about the tangs and especially the puffers would be really appreciated. Even if you think this combo is nuts, please just give me feedback. Thanks

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I'm about to finally fill my 180 in the next few days. It's gonna be a handful of large fish instead of a typical large tank with tons of smaller fish. So I really want to try a school of tangs. I'm thinking sailfins since yellows,purples,gems are out of my price range in quantity. So has anyone tried a school of any type of tangs? If so how many and any issues? Also want a male and female Arothron Puffer pair. I also have a pink tail trigger that is outgrown my 110 so he's definitely going to be transferred. Any thoughts about the tangs and especially the puffers would be really appreciated. Even if you think this combo is nuts, please just give me feedback. Thanks

Part of how 'nuts' it is to me depends on the tank dimensions. Sailfin tangs can get quite large - and I would imagine that most people would say a 180 is not enough 'for a school'. Especially with the puffers and the trigger.

One issue with a school of anything - is that unless you have enough (numbers wise) it can turn into a situation where 1 fish is the 'weakling' - is picked on, and dies. Followed by the next weakest, etc - until there are 1 or 2 left.

My guess is that you would need a bigger tank to accomplish what you're trying to do - and at least 5 tangs.

But - its an interesting idea - hope everything works out - I'm sure you'll get numerous opinions

OP
OP
Naso110

Naso110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I never really thought about the hiarchey part of it. Guess I'll have to rethink the stocking. But that definitely makes sense

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back