Stocking 50 gallon SCA PNP tank

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for ideas for when I get this tank and up and running fish I could stock it with. I know I want at least one clown fish, Azure Damsel. Easy corals that are hard to mess up. Some kind of clean up crew. Ideas of what else I can keep together and how many.

FYI this will be my first reef tank

Andrew

sunnyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not recommend keeping only the clownfish or the damsle, never both. Azure damsles are nutorously very aggresive, especially with clowns. Other than that maybe a reef safe wrass. Blennys and gobys are always an easy to are for fish. For clean up crew a sea urchin hermit crabs and nastaria snails are always great. For corals I recomend zoas because they have a lot of movemrnt.

Happy reefing!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like clowns I'd recommend 2. They will be inseparable. Pistol shrimp and a watchman goby are fun. Nice to see them being so dependent on each other. Cleaner shrimp, CuC package from reefcleaners.org for 1/2 the size of your tank to start with hermits.

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like clowns I'd recommend 2. They will be inseparable. Pistol shrimp and a watchman goby are fun. Nice to see them being so dependent on each other. Cleaner shrimp, CuC package from reefcleaners.org for 1/2 the size of your tank to start with hermits.
Not stuck on clowns, but would like something easy and also colorful to look at. Always loved tangs but I know they do not work in a tank of this size.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarin goby will be a good one down the road. Need established pods first

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copepods. Tiny little bug things the size of a grain of sand or so. You can buy them to seed the tank. They will take it from there and reproduce on their own

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I get the tank setup and start to cycle the tank would that be the best time to put in Copepods? Plus maybe soon after cleaner crew or wait on the cleaner crew

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait until you have algae growth before pods. Maybe around 2 month mark. CuC you can start small around same time you add your first fish

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not recommend keeping only the clownfish or the damsle, never both. Azure damsles are nutorously very aggresive, especially with clowns. Other than that maybe a reef safe wrass. Blennys and gobys are always an easy to are for fish. For clean up crew a sea urchin hermit crabs and nastaria snails are always great. For corals I recomend zoas because they have a lot of movemrnt.

Happy reefing!
I have two azure's and a pair of b&w ocellaris clowns in a 60 gal DT. At the moment they are the only fish in there. There has not been one suggestion of aggression between them. I would argue azure damsels are probably one of the less aggressive Chrysiptera damsels. my yellow tail i had many years ago was way more feisty.

sunnyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two azure's and a pair of b&w ocellaris clowns in a 60 gal DT. At the moment they are the only fish in there. There has not been one suggestion of aggression between them. I would argue azure damsels are probably one of the less aggressive Chrysiptera damsels. my yellow tail i had many years ago was way more feisty.
It still might be risky but if your up for the challenge go for it, just be prepared to separate if needed:)

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back