Stocking a 55 gallon FOWLER

dyjogibson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I am starting on saltwater after about a year of freshwater. I am looking to make a 55 gallon fowler tank. My biggest goal is to have as many different fish and colors as I can safely fit into the tank. Currently the only fish that I have decided on are a pair of ocellaris clowns and a atlantic pygmy or coral beauty angelfish. I am wondering what else you guys would add to the list?
I would rather aim away from the schooling fish and more towards individuals because freshwater fills the schooling part for me and I want more of a variety in this tank.
Please suggest fish that are better for beginners as I am new to saltwater and this is going to be my first tank.

OP
OP
D

dyjogibson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Royal Gramma would be nice color for that size tank.

Some type of small wrasse for movement.
Would I be able to add more fish with those? After looking at those they do seem pretty cool, just wondering if I could add more fish.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I be able to add more fish with those? After looking at those they do seem pretty cool, just wondering if I could add more fish.
I tend to tell people to stock light...I have three fish in a 29 gallon. So 6 to 8 small fish. I'm sure some folks will suggest a larger stocking list.

There a lots of bottom dwellers like gobies and blennies that would be a good addition.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A canthigaster genus puffer, cardinals, a wrasse of some sort (there are many different species that would work), a blenny (bicolor, tailspot, midas), a couple gobies, a hawkfish, firefish, a royal gramma/basslet/dottyback, there are tons of different fish that would work in a tank that size (not all of these fish would work together, just listing fish that would work in this size tank).

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, all of the above suggestions - with an emphasis on smaller fish so you can maximize the amount of colors/types. Easily 10-12 small fish in a 55-gallon. Just make sure you have a lid (anything shaped like a torpedo will act like such).

Fichmiester

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melanurus wrasse is an awesome choice for a 55 gallon. Him and my baby Niger trigger (literally 2 inches) were the most active swimmers in my 50g Wide

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melanurus wrasse is an awesome choice for a 55 gallon. Him and my baby Niger trigger (literally 2 inches) were the most active swimmers in my 50g Wide
A Niger Trigger will outgrow it really quickly, they get massive and grow fast when they’re little.

Afkomjorgen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to wrasses and Pygmy angels!
Flasher wrasses are really stunning! If you want to look at wrasses track down the article on here that goes over different families of wrasses & who they get along with best ( as far as other wrasses and inverts if you plan to have any ) to prevent any infighting or losses of CUC. Some wrasses need a sand bed and others make a sleeping cocoon in rocks so that’s another thing to consider if you have a bare bottom tank.
Flame angels are very beautiful and a popular Pygmy choice. :) good luck!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back