Stocking a 75 Gallon

Fangz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering if I could add one more fish to my reef aquarium without it being overstocked? I was thinking of adding a One Spot Foxface fish.

This tank is 75 Gallon and has a 30 Gallon sump (with I estimate 15-20 Gallons actually used).

For fish the tank has:

1 Melanarus wrasse
1 Two Spot Bristletooth Tang
1 Long nose Hawkfish
6 Pajama Cardinals
2 Engineer Gobies/Blennies

I have attached a picture of what the tank looks like now.

The fish are all on the smaller side except the wrasse and hawkfish.

20210309_142522.jpg

OP
OP
F

Fangz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats your filtration situation?

In the sump I have 3 grades of pond foam (coarse, med and fine) and a refugium with dragons breath and caulerpa macro algae. I throw in a UV sterilizer as needed as I do dose live phyto which can take hold if I am not careful. No filter socks, no protein skimmer.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably wouldn't recommend any more. It's not about filtration as much as territory. How long has that tank been running?

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats between the stand and the bottom of the tank? looks like blanket?

MasonK24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot fish in a 44 gallon and two are constantly at it. I want to upgrade bad so they have more room.
if i could restart, i would add the more peaceful fish first and any aggressive fish last. any tang especially. my scopas makes it almost impossible to add anything new.

OP
OP
F

Fangz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if i could restart, i would add the more peaceful fish first and any aggressive fish last. any tang especially. my scopas makes it almost impossible to add anything new.
I also have a 30 Gallon and made the mistake of overstocking it. My pygmy filefish chases others once in awhile - especially my the molly i put in but everything else is peaceful. What really did me in was the instability in the tank which resulted in all my Euphilia dying as well as some of my fish just disappearing. I have that tank somewhat stabilized with dosing kalkwasser, magnesium, and soda ash now but have been fighting a hair algae war in that tank for months since the crash - and that issue will be related to the lights I have (on too long, too much white) however I am hesitant to change the lighting until I am certain my levels are stable for a few months.

Thats another reason I started the 75 - it took some of the load off the 30. I plan on replacing the 30 with a 6 ft tank somewhere down the road. I have seen that larger water volume is much better for stability!

OP
OP
F

Fangz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats between the stand and the bottom of the tank? looks like blanket?

I painted the plywood black under the aquarium. Eventually I will clad the stand and building shelving around it and a wall behind it.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't add more fish. 2 months is really fast for the fish you have already.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back