Stocking a 75g tank?

hbubley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! I have a 75 gallon aquarium that I've just started adding fish/coral to.

The tank has cycled for 7 months, so far I have:
2 clownfish (ocellaris)
1 duncan
4x hermit crabs

Everyone is doing great so far! The clowns have been in there for almost 2 weeks and the duncan for a week. Duncan is wide open and happy it appears.

I would like to add more coral and fish in the coming months and am looking for opinions :) So far the only fish I really want are:
2x wrasses (preferably fairy and a leopard if that's possible, need to research this pairing but the guy at the fish store said it was doable? Second thoughts?)
1x mandarin goby

what would be some other cool fish that are coral safe that y'all enjoy in your tanks?
I was thinking of adding an anemone but I'm nervous about it? I've heard mixed reviews on caring for them. I feel up to it just unsure if it's wise?

Thanks in advance :)
Be gentle with me, I'm new haha.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! I have a 75 gallon aquarium that I've just started adding fish/coral to.

The tank has cycled for 7 months, so far I have:
2 clownfish (ocellaris)
1 duncan
4x hermit crabs

Everyone is doing great so far! The clowns have been in there for almost 2 weeks and the duncan for a week. Duncan is wide open and happy it appears.

I would like to add more coral and fish in the coming months and am looking for opinions :) So far the only fish I really want are:
2x wrasses (preferably fairy and a leopard if that's possible, need to research this pairing but the guy at the fish store said it was doable? Second thoughts?)
1x mandarin goby

what would be some other cool fish that are coral safe that y'all enjoy in your tanks?
I was thinking of adding an anemone but I'm nervous about it? I've heard mixed reviews on caring for them. I feel up to it just unsure if it's wise?

Thanks in advance :)
Be gentle with me, I'm new haha.
seems like a pretty good list so far. If you wanna go with the mandarin I would recommend having an established fuge first

OP
OP
H

hbubley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems like a pretty good list so far. If you wanna go with the mandarin I would recommend having an established fuge first
Awesome!! Is there a fuge you'd recommend investing in or is this something I DIY? I'm looking into a sump, right now I have a hang-on protein skimmer and hang-on filter. Just having trouble figuring out how to make room for the sump under the tank. This is the tank and cabinet I'm working with: https://www.petsmart.com/fish/tanks...pWRUvkpqcseda-dd5GlSxOuLZqFUO52xoCAvEQAvD_BwE

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!! Is there a fuge you'd recommend investing in or is this something I DIY? I'm looking into a sump, right now I have a hang-on protein skimmer and hang-on filter. Just having trouble figuring out how to make room for the sump under the tank. This is the tank and cabinet I'm working with: https://www.petsmart.com/fish/tanks...pWRUvkpqcseda-dd5GlSxOuLZqFUO52xoCAvEQAvD_BwE
Fuges, can often be done semi-DIY as long as there is space in the sump, So its something to consider when buying or building your sump.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend a small tang like a tomini or yellow/blue eye kole tang. They are beautiful fish and will take care of some types of algae.

The only thing is they are really prone to ick so you need to buy from a good source and/or QT.

Make sure you have bottom dwellers and top. Clowns are pretty static so they don’t take that much space. I like a low/medium bioload myself so I aim for 8-10 fish max in my 75 gallons. Mostly small, medium. Nothing larger than my kole tang.

OP
OP
H

hbubley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend a small tang like a tomini or yellow/blue eye kole tang. They are beautiful fish and will take care of some types of algae.

The only thing is they are really prone to ick so you need to buy from a good source and/or QT.

Make sure you have bottom dwellers and top. Clowns are pretty static so they don’t take that much space. I like a low/medium bioload myself so I aim for 8-10 fish max in my 75 gallons. Mostly small, medium. Nothing larger than my kole tang.
Yeah I am worried about overloading and things dying, so I want to go super slow. And get advice before I actually commit to adding anything new :) How long do you think I should wait to add a new fish if I added my coral last week and my clowns two weeks ago? Happy to be patient! I did have a goby but my CUC got to it :/ So I'm nervous now about even doing the mandarin even though I've always wanted one. Would DEF love a tang, and happy to QT him. I'll look more into those smaller guys!

CWalters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 75 I have the following:

2 clowns
Yellow Watchman Goby/Pistol Shrimp
Midas Blenny
Lawn Mower Blenny
Tomini Tang
Purple Firefish
Regular Firefish

Plan to add a few more in the future.

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the wrasse idea, they are hard to qt at times. I would reccomend a 3rd wrasse for pest controll and compatibility. Yellow coris.

I will 2nd the tang, small bristletooth.

You can also get a mandarin the eats prepared food from biota. I still think a refugium is key.

OP
OP
H

hbubley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the wrasse idea, they are hard to qt at times. I would reccomend a 3rd wrasse for pest controll and compatibility. Yellow coris.

I will 2nd the tang, small bristletooth.

You can also get a mandarin the eats prepared food from biota. I still think a refugium is key.
Thank you! I love wrasse, they're so pretty. I would love to do 3, do you think I can manage that without issues between them? And would I add the three at once or more slowly? I guess I'm concerned about getting the three over a time period and then fighting occurring, but also concerned about the bioload of adding 3 at once?

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The leopard and coris might compete with the pod supply in the tank. Coris usually eat anything, leopards can be picky at times. They should get along fine though as they are all different families

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you think I should wait to add a new fish if I added my coral last week and my clowns two weeks ago?
Corals don’t matter when adding fish, except if they bring disease in your tank, which is a possibility but rare. If you want to be extra careful, wait a few more weeks to make sure your fish don’t get sick from the new corals.

I’ve never done that but it’s an added precaution. If not, 2 weeks ago for the clown is okay to add 1-2 fish as long as you have been feeding them well (feeding more/pooping more is what increases your system’s capacity to hold more fish).

Then another batch 2 weeks later and so forth. Never add more fish weight/size than a small fraction of the total of what you already have. That would be beyond your system capacity.

OP
OP
H

hbubley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals don’t matter when adding fish, except if they bring disease in your tank, which is a possibility but rare. If you want to be extra careful, wait a few more weeks to make sure your fish don’t get sick from the new corals.

I’ve never done that but it’s an added precaution. If not, 2 weeks ago for the clown is okay to add 1-2 fish as long as you have been feeding them well (feeding more/pooping more is what increases your system’s capacity to hold more fish).

Then another batch 2 weeks later and so forth. Never add more fish weight/size than a small fraction of the total of what you already have. That would be beyond your system capacity.
Thank you!! So helpful. I think I'll add one wrasse either this weekend or next weekend. Everyone is still looking great in the tank, so I'm super hyped! I was definitely worried taking on my first coral, so I'm glad to see everyone is still thriving today.

Do you think a torch coral would be okay for the next one I add, or should I do something like a hammer or mushroom? It'll probably be at least a couple weeks before I add another one, as I want to make sure the duncan stays strong and is doing well.

Also waiting for my extra test kits to come in on thursday, at home I have nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, pH, and alkalinity but bought new kits for calcium and phosphate. Is there anything else I should be stocked up on? Running to the LFS after work today to grab some more things. I've been feeding the clowns formula one pellets, but I want to grab them some live food today, any suggestions on good treats for young clowns?

OP
OP
H

hbubley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, what would you recommend. Getting a HOB refugium like this:
Or getting a sump like this:

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, what would you recommend. Getting a HOB refugium like this:
Or getting a sump like this:
I personally wouldn't want a HOB fuge, and I would say to get one in your sump.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back