Stocking advice for 65 gallon reef

Thanos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my 65 gallon reef tank running for about 2 months now and I'm looking to start stocking it out. I currently just have 2 clownfish and 3 hermit crabs. Once the tank is established I'm planning on doing a standard cleanup crew with those crabs, some snails, a shrimp, and an emerald crab. My issue right now is selecting fish. Really the only thing I absolutely need is some blue-colored fish, I'm still in highschool and I live with my parents and both really want some blue color. My current stocking plan is the 2 clownfish I already have, a Royal Gramma, a Tomini Tang, and 3 damselfish (currently torn between Yellowtail, Azure, and Springers). My 2 concerns right now are that the tank isn't big enough for the Tomini Tang and that the damsels might be too aggressive, although I'm hoping that by adding them last in a group of 3 I can mitigate the aggression as much as possible. Just looking for some feedback since I'm very new to this hobby and I want this first tank to go as smoothly as possible.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pick one damsel fish. While I have four (azure, 3x blue devil) they're not known for peaceful coexistence for the most part. Yellow tail, azure, springer would be my choices.

OP
OP
T

Thanos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pick one damsel fish. While I have four (azure, 3x blue devil) they're not known for peaceful coexistence for the most part. Yellow tail, azure, springer would be my choices.
Are you referring to keeping multiple species or multiple of the same species? From what I've read mixing species is risky but having a small group of one species (usually 3 or 7) is beneficial for reducing aggression.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you referring to keeping multiple species or multiple of the same species? From what I've read mixing species is risky but having a small group of one species (usually 3 or 7) is beneficial for reducing aggression.
I'm saying pick one (1). 65 gallons may not be enough for 2-3, but it all depends. I've mixed several damsel species with no ill effects (yellow belly/azure, azure/3 blue devil; all in a 160 gallon DT) - but they went in reasonably close to the same time, were roughly the same size and there were other larger (more dominant fish).

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the Damsel advice. I have a couple of Springers left that from a group of 3 I started with. The Springers were supposed to be the lesser evil for Damsels. These things are devils. The wrasses I have now keep them in check, but they tormented my Royal Gamma, kept him in hiding until he starved. Never again.

Your 65 is plenty big enough for a Tomini. I've had a Flame Fin Tomini in my Red Sea 170 for 3 years. That's about 34 gallons of DT. And I won't be rehoming him.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 33.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back