Stocking advice - wrasse, ditherfish, bottom dwellers - 180 gallons

Sharp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. I have a 180 gallon mixed reef. I was hoping for some advice about mixing and introducing some wrasse, dither fish and bottom dwellers to my tank. Esentially anything small that will help add a bit of a sense of scale and colour when compared to my tangs - which I realise I have a lot of. I have good nutrient export, chaeto, skimmer, NOPOX. I am looking for fish suggestions and compatibility from people who have more experience than I.

I am hoping to add a group of fairy and flasher wrasse, 2-3 bottom dwelling things, and 2 trios of dither fish

here is what I am considering: what would you suggest? Any other groups or species of fish I am sleeping on? I would introduce these fish in 3-4 seperate batches over the next 6 months.

below are the species I am interested in, I am looking to you guys for numbers and compatibility, it’s something I can never really get quite right. I am obviously not looking at getting all of these fish, as stated above.

Group 1; 2 of these

Yellowtail Tamarin Wrasse, China Wrasse, Radiant Wrasse, Yellow Coris

Group 2; a combination

Lineatus Wrasse, Laboutei Wrasse, Exquisite Wrasse, Pintail Wrasse

Carpenters Flasher Wrasse, Angular Flasher Wrasse, Filamented Flasher Wrasse

Group 3; 2 fish

Longnose Hawkfish, Flame Hawkfish, Bluespot Jawfish or Pearly Jawfish - I have a chiller.

Engineer Goby, Yellow Watchman Goby

Group 4; 2 groups of 3

One or two types of anthias, I need suggestions please. Was thinking lyretail or Bartletts but I am struggling to find info. Would like easy and colourful ones

Helrefi Dartfish, Zebra Dartfish, Chalk Bass, Talbots Damsels, Bangaii Cardinal

I currently have:

Orange Shoulder Tang

Powder Blue Tang

Purple Tang

Desjardini Tang

Blue Tang

Copperband Butterfly

Bi-colour Angelfish

Melenarus Wrasse

Choati Leopard Wrasse

Standard Leopard

Orchid Dottyback

Azure Damselfish

2 Chromis

2 Clownfish

2 Stocky Anthias

Redspot Blenny

Last edited:

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
might not be what you are expecting but I would do: Yellow Coris ,Pintail Wrasse, Carpenters Flasher Wrasse, Pearly Jawfish, and a group of lyretails.
reason I did not choose more is because I am not really sure about the bioload I think you would know best.

Upvote 0

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. I have a 180 gallon mixed reef. I was hoping for some advice about mixing and introducing some wrasse, dither fish and bottom dwellers to my tank. Esentially anything small that will help add a bit of a sense of scale and colour when compared to my tangs - which I realise I have a lot of. I have good nutrient export, chaeto, skimmer, NOPOX. I am looking for fish suggestions and compatibility from people who have more experience than I.

I am hoping to add a group of fairy and flasher wrasse, 2-3 bottom dwelling things, and 2 trios of dither fish

here is what I am considering: what would you suggest? Any other groups or species of fish I am sleeping on? I would introduce these fish in 3-4 seperate batches over the next 6 months.

below are the species I am interested in, I am looking to you guys for numbers and compatibility, it’s something I can never really get quite right. I am obviously not looking at getting all of these fish, as stated above.

Group 1; 2 of these

Yellowtail Tamarin Wrasse, China Wrasse, Radiant Wrasse, Yellow Coris

Group 2; a combination

Lineatus Wrasse, Laboutei Wrasse, Exquisite Wrasse, Pintail Wrasse

Carpenters Flasher Wrasse, Angular Flasher Wrasse, Filamented Flasher Wrasse

Group 3; 2 fish

Longnose Hawkfish, Flame Hawkfish, Bluespot Jawfish or Pearly Jawfish - I have a chiller.

Engineer Goby, Yellow Watchman Goby

Group 4; 2 groups of 3

One or two types of anthias, I need suggestions please. Was thinking lyretail or Bartletts but I am struggling to find info. Would like easy and colourful ones

Helrefi Dartfish, Zebra Dartfish, Chalk Bass, Talbots Damsels, Bangaii Cardinal

I currently have:

Orange Shoulder Tang

Powder Blue Tang

Purple Tang

Desjardini Tang

Blue Tang

Copperband Butterfly

Bi-colour Angelfish

Melenarus Wrasse

Choati Leopard Wrasse

Standard Leopard

Orchid Dottyback

Azure Damselfish

2 Chromis

2 Clownfish

2 Stocky Anthias

Redspot Blenny
I would add a radiant, a yellow coris, a lineatus, a pintail, swap the carpenter's flasher for a blue flasher, get yellow headed jawfish pair (skip the hawks, mine got fiesty with my anthias as they got older), get 1 group of 5-6 anthias (I prefer bartletts, but lyretail and bimaculatus look great as well), and a pair of Banggai cardinals.

Upvote 1

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back