Stocking Advice

HermitFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting a 150gal (60*24*24) reef tank. I’m looking for a little advice on my stock list as well as sources. I want to stock qt’ed and treated fish to avoid diseases. I will qt all coral and inverts for 90days on my own.

2 clowns
2 fire fish
1 six line wrasse
1 file fish
2 lawn mower blennies
1 yellow tang
1 powder brown tang
1 flame fin tang

Im fairly certain the tangs if introduced last and at the same time will work. The only sources I know for clean fish right now are:
Hubolt Aquatics
Quarantined Fish
Marine Collectors

Thanks in advance

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Among The Reef also cleans their fish, although they deal more with pricier fish.

For the firefish, I'd recommend getting a group of 6 and letting them sort themselves out in quarantine.

I'm slightly worried about the six line + the firefish, since sixlines are so aggro, and firefish are kinda wimpy.

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting a 150gal (60*24*24) reef tank. I’m looking for a little advice on my stock list as well as sources. I want to stock qt’ed and treated fish to avoid diseases. I will qt all coral and inverts for 90days on my own.

2 clowns
2 fire fish
1 six line wrasse
1 file fish
2 lawn mower blennies
1 yellow tang
1 powder brown tang
1 flame fin tang

Im fairly certain the tangs if introduced last and at the same time will work. The only sources I know for clean fish right now are:
Hubolt Aquatics
Quarantined Fish
Marine Collectors

Thanks in advance
Maybe some bangaii cardinals, a couple more wrasse, and a dwarf angel.

OP
OP
HermitFish

HermitFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Among The Reef also cleans their fish, although they deal more with pricier fish.

For the firefish, I'd recommend getting a group of 6 and letting them sort themselves out in quarantine.

I'm slightly worried about the six line + the firefish, since sixlines are so aggro, and firefish are kinda wimpy.
Thanks, I hadn’t considered the wrasse firefish issue.
Also didn’t realize I could put that many fire fish in peacefully.
Can they be purple and orange when mixed or do they all need to be one color?

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the filefish go, I don't have much experience.

The filefish may nip at LPS and/or soft coral. I've got 2 in my 125, and while I don't see any particular damage, my acans may be a target. Disclaimer: I've got a lot of large colonies. I can't say what it might do to frags in a newer tank.

You may consider a melanaurus wrasse instead of the six line. Mine has been a perfect gentleman for years. Does a great job keeping the bristle worms at bay and has a similar appearance to the six line. They do get bigger though. Mine's about 5" long.

As far as the tangs go, I agree that if you purchase juveniles and add them at or about the same time, your chances of them getting along is good.

I have heard that lawnmower blennies can get aggressive. In a tank that size, you might be alright with two, but since I don't have experience with multiples, I don't know if I would try it without more research.

FrioActual

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2 clowns
2 fire fish
1 six line wrasse
1 file fish
2 lawn mower blennies
1 yellow tang
1 powder brown tang
1 flame fin tang

Hubolt Aquatics
Quarantined Fish
Marine Collectors

Thanks in advance
A coral beauty would be a great addition if comparable.

Back