Stocking advise for 30L im 36 x 12 x 12 footprint

Nommarune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still waiting on my cycle to finish, but I'm trying to plan my live stock. I know I will have two clowns, not sure which ones yet as the lightning maroons are too aggressive ): . I want alot of movement throughout the tank. Upper column middle and lower. I plan on adding a green mandarin at about 6-8 months once the copepods are established (going to add some at 2months and give 4-6 for the colony to grow).

Current thoughts are:
1x coral beauty or flame angel
1x saddle varitari puffer (I know reef safe with caution) need advice on this
2x clowns
2x damsels
1 x swails wrasse??
1 x fire dart.
1x goby
1x bubblegum coral crouched

Total tank is 30gal so I assume that load is okay.

Please advise thanks. Equipment wise I am not planning on running a skimmer instead running a refuge in the back chamber, carbon, floss, bio balls, and some 1inch pieces of rock.

Twigg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Saddle Puffer will take small bites of everything, like he's surrounded by a buffet. I like those lil guys but I could not keep him. I would be concerned about the damsels attacking the goby and the dart fish. Chrysiptera seem to be the most docile but in a smaller tank they will chase the peaceful guys.

OP
OP
Nommarune

Nommarune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Saddle Puffer will take small bites of everything, like he's surrounded by a buffet. I like those lil guys but I could not keep him. I would be concerned about the damsels attacking the goby and the dart fish. Chrysiptera seem to be the most docile but in a smaller tank they will chase the peaceful guys.
Okay, that's why I was on the fence with the damsel or chromis. And yeah I absolutely love that puffer. What about the mimic file fish same size looks almost the same.. mimic saddle I think is what it is called.

Twigg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, that's why I was on the fence with the damsel or chromis. And yeah I absolutely love that puffer. What about the mimic file fish same size looks almost the same.. mimic saddle I think is what it is called.
I don't know about the file fish from experience, my friends have them in reef tanks. The puffers are all nippers though. They need something to stimulate the beak.

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may just be an old school curmudgeon but that seems like a lot of fish for a 30 gallon. Wow. I have a 30l I. Setting up and plan on just 3 MAYBE 4 fish.

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also don't think you'll be able to keep a mandarin longterm in a 30 with 10 other fish competing for pods. Unless you train it to eat prepared foods.

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would skip the damsels, and I can not give advice on the puffer. I had some larger fish like a coral beauty & even my clown pair-I felt like they got too big for my 30 L. So now I concentrate on smaller fish-but maybe have more. Here's what I have:
Tail spot blenny
Green War clown goby
a pair of Yasha Hase Gobies & their pistol shrimp
Pygmy hawkfish
Yellow streaked possum wrasse
purple firefish
Pearly dartfish
Mandarin
All very small except the dartfish/firefish.
I run a media basket, skimmer and UV.

OP
OP
Nommarune

Nommarune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would skip the damsels, and I can not give advice on the puffer. I had some larger fish like a coral beauty & even my clown pair-I felt like they got too big for my 30 L. So now I concentrate on smaller fish-but maybe have more. Here's what I have:
Tail spot blenny
Green War clown goby
a pair of Yasha Hase Gobies & their pistol shrimp
Pygmy hawkfish
Yellow streaked possum wrasse
purple firefish
Pearly dartfish
Mandarin
All very small except the dartfish/firefish.
I run a media basket, skimmer and UV.
I like the hawk fish, my issue is the goby's dont add alot of upper tank movement. I also already have a 120gal and a 50 gal that I'm going to be setting up once this tank is done as a grow out tank dt. Figured I'd start with the small one as I have to build a stand for the 120. The 50 gal will be converted to the sump for a total of 170 gal including filtration area.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back