Stocking and a few small questions regarding a new 80g Display 115g system.

Nazzar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I wasn't sure if I had to ask this in the fish discussion forum or here considering I am quite new in salt water and have a few other questions?

I currently have the following stocking:

Added in 4th week:
2 percula clownfish
1 Midas Blenny
1 Lawnmower blenny

Added in 7th week:
1 Bluestreak Cleaner Wrasse
1 Foxface Lo (Currently 7~ cm) (Already have a deal with LFS to trade him for a smaller one when/if he outgrows my tank, otherwise I wouldn't have bought him)

Added in 8th week:
1 Yellow watchman Goby
1 Alpheus randalli

Added in 9th week: (This week)
3 Pseudanthias squamipinnis

Weeks added ():
3 Strombus spp. (3rd)
2 Trochus snails. (3rd)
1 Cleaner Shrimp (4th)
2 Peppermint shrimp (8th)

I am currently thinking of adding a smaller wrasse (McCosker's/Naoko's Fairy/Yellow Wrasse?) and a mandarin when I see enough copepods but I am wondering if am not already overstocked and going to get myself into problems "later" if I add them. (Mandarin won't be added before fall for sure)

My current coral stock is a couple of zoa's frags and a 3 head duncan that seem to be doing great. (Fed the duncan mysis for the first time this week and it was for me the moment that saltwater absolutely HOOKED me) and I already see multiple new heads on the zoa's since I added them so I was wondering If I could maybe add a little more difficult corals? Or do I really need to wait for that a bit longer?

The other questions:

I starting with 50/50 liferock/deadrock and chaeto right and having a very easy time cycling the aquarium. (Never seen ammonia and Nitrite in any of the tests I did)

However my chaeto is not doing well (no idea why since my nitrates and phosphates are a bit on the high side with 40ppm and 0.8ppm and have a 36 watt fuge light above it that runs 12h/day contra to my display tank) Would you guys know what this could be? I even got the idea that my nitrates and phosphates are high because my chaeto is melting in my system.

This brings me to the next questions: I didn't know that the production of nitrate before you have enough denitrifying bacteria consumes alkalinity (Ended up with 6.8dkh) so I started to dose alkalinity and I am am currently back to 7.5dkh (after 2 weeks of slowly raising it)

I am currently aiming for 8+ before I do a water change since my salt mix is at 9.3 (Instant ocean) and I don't want to shock my tank or is this really not a big problem if I do?

Once again, Thanks!

Benjammin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stocking your tank is a balance of livestock and filtration. No correct answer just test test test. Then adjust filtration as needed.
Chaeto needs iron so maybe check those levels.
Raise alk 1dkh per day is safe.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like trading in fish risks bringing disease. If it is a fox face lo or similar it should be okay as an adult in an 80. They get decent size but not as spazzy/active as a Tang.

I think I have around 14 fish in my 80 bud totally depends on filtration and fish personalities.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back