Stocking ideas for 10 gallon tank.

Metalhead670

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure if i made thread like this before about my 10 gallon tank(it is empty and in my attic right now) but i want to turn it into an aquarium. i've been thinking about a nano predator reef(dottyback and damsel/other small predator or a goby tank) both ideas will only be 2 fish, a green star polyp rock, cleaner crew, and peppermint shrimp.

would this be a good idea? if so what dottyback/damsel duo would work in a 10 gallon, or would it be not enough space?

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm....I don't think I'd do a dottyback and damsel in a 10 gallon. Or really any semi-aggressive fish in a 10. It doesn't sound like enough space to me.

OP
OP
Metalhead670

Metalhead670

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm....I don't think I'd do a dottyback and damsel in a 10 gallon. Or really any semi-aggressive fish in a 10. It doesn't sound like enough space to me.
oh, okay. is there any good colorful fish u would recommend? maybe a skunk clown pair or a goby and clownfish?

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
definitely not a skunk clown pair. Too large.

Look into nano fish that might be available to you. I would do something like a shrimp goby+pistol shrimp, and some sort of pelagic fish like a single captive bred banggai cardinalfish. Generally, requirements for nano size tanks are: the fish maxes out at 2" (BC's are an exception due to how lethargic they are), is not an overly active swimmer (chromis are out), and in general has a small territory.

OP
OP
Metalhead670

Metalhead670

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
definitely not a skunk clown pair. Too large.

Look into nano fish that might be available to you. I would do something like a shrimp goby+pistol shrimp, and some sort of pelagic fish like a single captive bred banggai cardinalfish. Generally, requirements for nano size tanks are: the fish maxes out at 2" (BC's are an exception due to how lethargic they are), is not an overly active swimmer (chromis are out), and in general has a small territory.
i might consider doing a freshwater betta tank instead then... i like nano fish, but i prefer them in more bigger tanks... hope i;m not selfish sounding

OP
OP
Metalhead670

Metalhead670

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't sound selfish to me. Sounds pretty reasonable, and as long as you're not putting your wants for the fish above the needs.
Bettas themselves need a 5 gallon tank, so i might have 1, 2 tetras, and a snail or two.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure if i made thread like this before about my 10 gallon tank(it is empty and in my attic right now) but i want to turn it into an aquarium. i've been thinking about a nano predator reef(dottyback and damsel/other small predator or a goby tank) both ideas will only be 2 fish, a green star polyp rock, cleaner crew, and peppermint shrimp.

would this be a good idea? if so what dottyback/damsel duo would work in a 10 gallon, or would it be not enough space?
Clown goby’s are great for nanos. And maybe another small fish with this one.

A royal gramma would be fine too or dottyback. But probably best as your only fish.

OP
OP
Metalhead670

Metalhead670

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown goby’s are great for nanos. And maybe another small fish with this one.

A royal gramma would be fine too or dottyback. But probably best as your only fish.
alright. i might think about it, i'm still deciding... i might do freshwater because i would want a bigger tank(125 gallons) for saltwater someday

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bettas themselves need a 5 gallon tank, so i might have 1, 2 tetras, and a snail or two.
Do not do 2 tetras. Tetras are shoaling fish, they need a group of 6, or preferably 8-12+.

1 Betta
6-8 nano shoaling fish (ember tetras, chili rasboras, etc)

Would work quite well.

OP
OP
Metalhead670

Metalhead670

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not do 2 tetras. Tetras are shoaling fish, they need a group of 6, or preferably 8-12+.

1 Betta
6-8 nano shoaling fish (ember tetras, chili rasboras, etc)

Would work quite well.
alright. a betta and six shoaling fish seems good enough, would it be ok for these to inverts to be in the tank? https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/6609/chocolate-cherry-shrimp?pcatid=6609&c=1075+6609 https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/1076/nerita-snail?pcatid=1076&c=1075+1076

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater would be a smart idea if you're new to saltwater. 10 gallon salt tanks are very difficult to manage even for more advanced hobbyists.

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done very well with nerites even in my soft tapwater - the tiger stripey ones seem to do best for me. But as ichthyogeek said that depends on your tap water parameters, so don't rule out the snail right away unless you already know it's very soft.

Shrimp I agree are likely to get eaten, but it's not a guaranteed thing, it depends on the individual betta. If you did go that route, you'd need to get the shrimp first and give them time to get established and for plant cover to grow for them. Even so you probably wouldn't see them much since they hide if they know there are predators around! You may want to increase the hardness of your water for the shrimps, which would work for the snail too; GH of around 4-5 would probably suit both the shrimp and the betta.

Bettas are very fun to keep, and a 10 gallon sounds like a good home for one :)

fluked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh ok. the snail and shrimp are out of question then
I have an ~11Gallon betta tank

My Betta immediately ate the shrimp I tried adding. He was good with my neon tetras for a while (I had 7) I now have 5.

Bettas with other fish is very dependant on the fish itself, but unfortunately there's no way to know how that will go ahead of time. If I had my mind set on a semi aggressive freshwater fish with some smaller fish, i'd consider a dwarf gourami instead of a Betta next time.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back