Stocking Ideas for 120 Gallon LPS/Softie Tank

MaverickReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for ideas to finish my fish stocking in my 120 gallon LPS tank. I currently have a 1.5" powder blue tang, 3" sailfin tang, 2x 1" clarkii clownfish, and a 3" female melanarus wrasse. I will be upgrading to a 180-225 gallon in about two years. I'd love some ideas to round out the colors of my fish, I figure I have enough "larger" fish (tangs), but am open to all ideas. I already have a lid as well so I am compatible with jumping fish. Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm looking for ideas to finish my fish stocking in my 120 gallon LPS tank. I currently have a 1.5" powder blue tang, 3" sailfin tang, 2x 1" clarkii clownfish, and a 3" female melanarus wrasse. I will be upgrading to a 180-225 gallon in about two years. I'd love some ideas to round out the colors of my fish, I figure I have enough "larger" fish (tangs), but am open to all ideas. I already have a lid as well so I am compatible with jumping fish. Thanks!

Tangs will be ideal as will a copperband butterfly, marine betta, a couple of wrasses, goby such as thompson for the bottom and a triplet of female anthias.

Tangs:
Tomini
gem
yellow
purple
naso

yellow coris wrasse (eats worms)

OP
OP
MaverickReef

MaverickReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs will be ideal as will a copperband butterfly, marine betta, a couple of wrasses, goby such as thompson for the bottom and a triplet of female anthias.

Tangs:
Tomini
gem
yellow
purple
naso

Would 3 tangs be pushing it in a 4' 120 gallon? I figured I could maybe get a 3rd when I upgrade in a few years. I do make sure they have plenty of swimming room as well as feed vitamin soaked nori daily

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Would 3 tangs be pushing it in a 4' 120 gallon? I figured I could maybe get a 3rd when I upgrade in a few years. I do make sure they have plenty of swimming room as well as feed vitamin soaked nori daily
No- Get them smaller- not tiny.
I moved most of mine to my 135g as I will be relocating to Florida early summer - Manage water quality and diet and nothing is impossible

1648943579984.png

Bolen2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the best I have in my setup is the bicolor angel. They tend to be a bit aggressive but they are a striking addition to any aquarium. Longnose hawkfish are nice to have as well. They don’t particularly have much as far as color is concerned but they are fascinating creatures. Just be careful of what kind of invertebrates you keep with them because they are keen on hunting small shrimp and crabs

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tangs:
Tomini
gem
yellow
purple
naso

Yellow Coris wrasses don’t eat worms but more so bugs, I have found the genus of Halichoeres to be split in two, with some going after bristleworms, flatworms and the rest going after the “non-worm” pests such as Red Bugs.

Something else I’d like to add is the sailfin will most likely outgrow the tank before 2 years pass. I’d go with something else, personally I’d grab a foxface to put in there (They will not affect you if they’re not cornered or if you don’t put pressure on the spines).

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yellow Coris wrasses don’t eat worms but more so bugs, I have found the genus of Halichoeres to be split in two, with some going after bristleworms, flatworms and the rest going after the “non-worm” pests such as Red Bugs.

Something else I’d like to add is the sailfin will most likely outgrow the tank before 2 years pass. I’d go with something else, personally I’d grab a foxface to put in there (They will not affect you if they’re not cornered or if you don’t put pressure on the spines).
My yellow has eaten baby bristle and detritus worms without hesitation. Red coris also eats worms but will flip every coral in doing its search

OP
OP
MaverickReef

MaverickReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm more than willing to trade in the sailfin, it already picks on the PBT and I prefer the colors of other tangs. Do you think I could do a foxface and small zebrasoma tang?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm more than willing to trade in the sailfin, it already picks on the PBT and I prefer the colors of other tangs. Do you think I could do a foxface and small zebrasoma tang?
Shouldn’t be an issue

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back