Stocking List - Coral Pest Eater (Pink Streaked Wrasse or White Banded Possum Wrasse?)

ItalCanadaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I am setting up my very first reef tank (Red Sea Reefer 250), and I am thinking of the following stocking list:

- Yellow eye kole tang
- Ocellaris clownfish (x2)
- Clown goby
- Yellow watchman goby
- Sand sifting diamond goby
- Randall’s pistol shrimp
- Cleaner shrimp
- Trochus snail (x6)

Along with the above, I was considering adding a six line wrasse to control some coral eating pests. However, after some more research, I am seeing that this fish, even if added last to the system, can become quite the bully. I am now considering some other colourful, pest-eating options to replace the six line wrasse, which are pseudocheilinops ataenia (pink-streaked wrasse) or wetmorella albofascinata (white-banded possum wrasse). I am leaning towards these two since they seem to not have an appetite for the shrimps and snails that I am hoping to add to my tank, although I am questioning their effectiveness in hunting down pests. Can anyone attest that these are effective pest eaters and are a good addition to my reef tank? Thanks so much for the help!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are like people. Some are good, some are mean, some have good days and some have bad days. There is no definitive answer.

redeyejedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I am setting up my very first reef tank (Red Sea Reefer 250), and I am thinking of the following stocking list:

- Yellow eye kole tang
- Ocellaris clownfish (x2)
- Clown goby
- Yellow watchman goby
- Sand sifting diamond goby
- Randall’s pistol shrimp
- Cleaner shrimp
- Trochus snail (x6)

Along with the above, I was considering adding a six line wrasse to control some coral eating pests. However, after some more research, I am seeing that this fish, even if added last to the system, can become quite the bully. I am now considering some other colourful, pest-eating options to replace the six line wrasse, which are pseudocheilinops ataenia (pink-streaked wrasse) or wetmorella albofascinata (white-banded possum wrasse). I am leaning towards these two since they seem to not have an appetite for the shrimps and snails that I am hoping to add to my tank, although I am questioning their effectiveness in hunting down pests. Can anyone attest that these are effective pest eaters and are a good addition to my reef tank? Thanks so much for the help!
My six line wrasse has never been a problem. She will show her side and spines as a warning but never attacks. My flameback angel on the other hand is a complete *** of a fish.

OP
OP
ItalCanadaReefer

ItalCanadaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I added my first two little clowns, and I am excited to get my next fish in here. Just to update, I have decided to go with the pink-streaked wrasse as a replacement to the six line. I am thinking of adding a clown goby or firefish next. How long should I wait between introductions? I was thinking with fish so small, two weeks may be sufficient (given I introduce one at a time). What do you think, is that too quick? Also, I really would love the kole tang but I hear that Hawaii has officially banned the harvest of ornamental fish. Is that true? Heartbreaker if so. After all these years of waiting to get into the hobby...

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how risk averse you are, I think bioload wise you will be fine after 2 weeks. Assuming you aren't quarantining I'd make sure you are getting them from a reputable source.

Also, solid choice on the PSW. It's easily my favorite fish in the tank right now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ItalCanadaReefer

ItalCanadaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how risk averse you are, I think bioload wise you will be fine after 2 weeks. Assuming you aren't quarantining I'd make sure you are getting them from a reputable source.

Also, solid choice on the PSW. It's easily my favorite fish in the tank right now.
Yep excited to get the PSW in here. Nope not quarantining. Will not quarantining make it wiser to wait longer? If so, why?

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back