Stocking list for 29 gal reef tank, suggestions and compatibility

Twaves18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! I have a 29 gal reef with a few soft coral and 2 lps (favia and candy.) I currently have 2 clownfish and am looking into stocking more fish and making this mixed reef diverse and colorful. I originally had thought about procuring a puffer fish as they have always been some of my favorite however I recently picked up a blue spotted puffer from my LFS that is massive and am now rethinking getting a puffer. The BSP will definitely be going back soon, however I still want a puffer, maybe a smaller sp. like the leopard puffer might be more suitable??
Contrary to my hopes I might have to cancel all ideas about puffers due to reef compatibility and the size of my tank. My other ideas on stock are as thus:
-Mandarin (of some kind)
-Clown Goby
-Blenny (Rock dwelling, such as a midas or bicolor)
-Some kind of middle column swimming fish such as a small wrasse/dottyback/basslet

I guess my questions are as thus: Is it feasible to keep my hopes of a puffer and adding one or two of the above listed fish? Are the above listed fish compatible with each other and if not all then which ones arent? And finally any suggestions (species specific) that I should too add to the list to obtain a diverse stock that will captivate different parts of the tank?

Thanks in advance for everyone that gives this thread a look over. :)

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you put a wrasse/dottyback in it will probably be your last fish, depending on what you pick.

I had a royal gramma with my pair of clowns and they were fine together.

Gobys or blennys would work well.

I wouldn't put more than 4 fish in a 29 gallon, just to give them space to grow.

OP
OP
T

Twaves18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the reason for adding the wrasse/dottyback in last due to aggression?

I figured 4 fish would be about all I would put in.
But I had the thought that if the fish take up different types of real estate, i.e. mandarin on the sand, clown goby on top of the rockwork, and the blenny within the rock as well as the small size of some of the fish then there wouldnt be much competition for territory. Is this a valid theory?

I also have about 10 gal in sump with plenty of LR for filtration and will be adding a refugium very soon

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the reason for adding the wrasse/dottyback in last due to aggression?

I figured 4 fish would be about all I would put in.
But I had the thought that if the fish take up different types of real estate, i.e. mandarin on the sand, clown goby on top of the rockwork, and the blenny within the rock as well as the small size of some of the fish then there wouldnt be much competition for territory. Is this a valid theory?

I also have about 10 gal in sump with plenty of LR for filtration and will be adding a refugium very soon
Years ago I had a 38 gallon with a single clownfish and a tiny mandarin who was doing very well, eating frozen mysis. I added a purple dottyback as the last fish, he pestered the mandarin off the rockwork to where he wouldn't eat. They both eat the same foods. I removed the dottyback.

I've had a sixline wrasse in my 29 with my pair of clowns, two different ones, both were fine with the clowns and my current one seems shy when I approach and even stays down near the bottom when I'm feeding, the clowns are the pigs, mated pair of percs. The wrasse pretty much patrols the whole tank and I have lots of rock work. I added a small filefish this weekend and he isn't happy about it.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back