Stocking my 125g Reef

Jamberlinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, so I’m looking for a little more information about stocking my tank without over doing the bioload or having a bad mix of fish.

I started reefing with a 46g bowfront about 9 months ago. A month ago, I moved everything up to a 125g system. I’m looking at possibly adding a few more fish to my tank if it’s not a bad idea.

My current stocking list is:

Yellow Tang
Tomini Tang
2 Ocellarius clownfish
Melanarus wrasse
Pink spot goby
Midas Blenny
Canary blenny
Starry Blenny

I would love to add another tang, a foxface, and a small group of anthias or chromis. My hesitation with chromis is that all I hear is they kill each other off.

Am I fully stocked as it is? Would adding these few fish push me over the edge? Or could I possible add these few more fish successfully?

Thanks in advance. Please ask any and all questions about my system or what may help be a deciding factor. I’m here to learn.

Cae

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing I would look at is the size that those Tangs are going to get. I have a 100 gal and I don't think I would put one let alone 2 in there. Also your Clownfish need room for territory and you have heaps of Blennies and Gobies that should cover the bottom of the tank. I like peppermint shrimp and smaller invertebrates as they do a job and look cute scuttling around the tank. It sounds like you have the whole water column filled from top to bottom. Maybe a couple of Chromis wouldn't hurt but don't go overboard unless you have brilliant filtration. If your nitrates are around 0 at the moment then get a few more fish. I hope it all goes well for you! Happy reefing

OP
OP
Jamberlinn

Jamberlinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing I would look at is the size that those Tangs are going to get. I have a 100 gal and I don't think I would put one let alone 2 in there. Also your Clownfish need room for territory and you have heaps of Blennies and Gobies that should cover the bottom of the tank. I like peppermint shrimp and smaller invertebrates as they do a job and look cute scuttling around the tank. It sounds like you have the whole water column filled from top to bottom. Maybe a couple of Chromis wouldn't hurt but don't go overboard unless you have brilliant filtration. If your nitrates are around 0 at the moment then get a few more fish. I hope it all goes well for you! Happy reefing

Thanks for you’re response. Not that it changes the volume but I add that it is a 6ft tank. My clowns host both my Anemone and my duncans. Which is rather frustrating. I added the nem in hopes they would leave my duncan colony alone. The starry blenny mostly sticks to the rocks but does spend some time on the sand bed with the goby, otherwise the goby has the sandbed to himself. The canary blenny sticks to picking at the rock work along with the Wrasse. The Midas Blenny spends most of his time in the water column along with the two tangs and the clowns occasionally. I do also have a fire shrimp and a coral banded. I see where you’re coming from when you say considering the fish’s adult sizes, I may very well be maxed out if not slightly overstocked. My nitrates are sitting around 10ppm right now although I have let the tank go a little longer than normal without a water change since the switch (3 weeks). Maybe it would be better if I don’t add anymore for fish or at least just a few small ones.

As far as my filtration, the tank is drilled, dual overflow, I’d say roughly a 30g sump, I’m running a bubble magus curve 5, a dual carbon/GFO reactor (only running carbon at the moment) and the refugium has and additional 20lbs of liverock in it. I have 150+lbs of liverock in the display.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that for tangs, the longest horizontal dimension is what is important. Even large tangs do well in long shallow frag tanks. I have a Kole and a yellow tang in a 6’ tank and they spend almost all of their time moving around the tank.

OP
OP
Jamberlinn

Jamberlinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that for tangs, the longest horizontal dimension is what is important. Even large tangs do well in long shallow frag tanks. I have a Kole and a yellow tang in a 6’ tank and they spend almost all of their time moving around the tank.

I have a yellow and Tomini in my 6ft tank right now.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back