Stocking order??

britnicole1724

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are trying to figure out our fish order before buying.
Right now our tank is a 180.5 Waterbox, reef saver rock, with a decently thick sand bed. (2-3” give or take in some spots)

We have 2 false percs and a cleaner shrimp in QT now.

Our wish list is as follows (no specific order)
Mandarin dragonet
Yellow tang(s)
Blue tang or Powder Blue tang
Diamond goby
Fox face (maybe - venomous aspect has us a little freaked as new reefers)
Firefish (maybe)
Royal Gramma

really not a fan of anthias or chromis but having a hard time picking fish that don’t require an established tank

what order should we add these? I know mandarin gobys needs and plan on adding that more towards the end.

do intend on a CUC and adding more shrimp in time.
322F8980-84D3-44D4-961D-9C539582731A.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Good list overall
Don’t worry about fox face and venom
They have to come in contact with you for that aspect and it’s a sting - not death

OP
OP
britnicole1724

britnicole1724

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good list overall
Don’t worry about fox face and venom
They have to come in contact with you for that aspect and it’s a sting - not death
Would that be a good fish to add as a second? Everything we love the look of requires established tanks. Mandarin goby is my #1 cannot wait to have but I know I need establish copepods for that.
Would also not mind having a coral beauty but it seems those are 50/50 on picking at corals.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Would that be a good fish to add as a second? Everything we love the look of requires established tanks. Mandarin goby is my #1 cannot wait to have but I know I need establish copepods for that.
Would also not mind having a coral beauty but it seems those are 50/50 on picking at corals.
Start with hardiest. Fire fish goby or clown generally good starter fish. Add one two weeks apart
By the time you get to mandarin or rabbit, tank will be 2 months old

OP
OP
britnicole1724

britnicole1724

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Dragonet is not a good idea if you’re new. They’re hard to keep alive without pods
Ive done my research on them. I’m aware I need to wait on that, as stated earlier, I don’t plan on adding it until I have established copepods to keep it alive. It’s the #1 fish I want and I want to make sure I keep it healthy when I do add it. It’ll most likely be one of the last I add.

OP
OP
britnicole1724

britnicole1724

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with hardiest. Fire fish goby or clown generally good starter fish. Add one two weeks apart
By the time you get to mandarin or rabbit, tank will be 2 months old
We have clowns that have been in quarantine. Getting ready to add them to the DT and start quarantining our next.

maybe clowns into DT
Firefish
Royal gramma
Fox face
Diamond goby
Yellow tang
Blue tang
Mandarin dragonet

We are quarantining everything 30+ days so in theory by the time we get to a mandarin it’s most likely going to be around the year mark that our tank has been up

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

Ive done my research on them. I’m aware I need to wait on that, as stated earlier, I don’t plan on adding it until I have established copepods to keep it alive. It’s the #1 fish I want and I want to make sure I keep it healthy when I do add it. It’ll most likely be one of the last I add.
You’ll have to breed pods. Having an established population isn’t enough. They’ll murder most of them so quickly they’ll deplete the natural population before they can reproduce to make up the numbers.

Just a Wrasse.

The biggest wrasse fan.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are trying to figure out our fish order before buying.
Right now our tank is a 180.5 Waterbox, reef saver rock, with a decently thick sand bed. (2-3” give or take in some spots)

We have 2 false percs and a cleaner shrimp in QT now.

Our wish list is as follows (no specific order)
Mandarin dragonet
Yellow tang(s)
Blue tang or Powder Blue tang
Diamond goby
Fox face (maybe - venomous aspect has us a little freaked as new reefers)
Firefish (maybe)
Royal Gramma

really not a fan of anthias or chromis but having a hard time picking fish that don’t require an established tank

what order should we add these? I know mandarin gobys needs and plan on adding that more towards the end.

do intend on a CUC and adding more shrimp in time.
322F8980-84D3-44D4-961D-9C539582731A.jpeg
Seems fine, also don't worry about the fox. For one its not deadly, for a healthy human, i have a friend that has been bit more the 10 times, yet he lives.

OP
OP
britnicole1724

britnicole1724

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll have to breed pods. Having an established population isn’t enough. They’ll murder most of them so quickly they’ll deplete the natural population before they can reproduce to make up the numbers.
I know… I already have on my list of purchases a phyto tank system for copepods and phytoplankton reactors as well as a copepod hotel and having an established refug.

OP
OP
britnicole1724

britnicole1724

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems fine, also don't worry about the fox. For one its not deadly, for a healthy human, i have a friend that has been bit more the 10 times, yet he lives.
Would this be something to add later on or would it be ok as a 2nd-3rd fish? I’ve seen mixed feelings on them but they’re beautiful fish

Just a Wrasse.

The biggest wrasse fan.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would this be something to add later on or would it be ok as a 2nd-3rd fish? I’ve seen mixed feelings on them but they’re beautiful fish
Should be fine!

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you add all the fish small you don't have to worry that much about aggression I've found, at least to non-species fish. For example if you get a baby yellow tang from biota, and some other fish to put in next. Yes Yellow tangs will sometimes be aggressive to new additions, but not until they are larger so 6 - 12 months from when you get it.

OP
OP
britnicole1724

britnicole1724

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Biota Mandarins that are readily eating pellets. Maybe check them out? Only downside is they come pretty small.
That’s essentially what I want. But they need copepods for food and my tank is too new. It’s my dream fish :(

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.5%

Back