Stocking Question

DKQuinn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I’m trying to figure out where I am in the stocking process with my tank. I have the 40 gallon aqua top cube. Right now I have an orchid dottyback, bi color blenny, cardinal, and a pair of Picasso clowns. Am I over stocked, good, or could I add more. Trying to do this right the first time so asking those that know. Thanks!

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I didn’t even think of that. I love this idea! I did forget to mention I have 2 turbo snails and 2 trochus snails for past algae blooms.
Dont add the cleaner shrimp if you fully qt your stuff though as it isnt necessary and usually eats all the food directly from corals mouths (bothering the heck out of them), They start as being cool and then u realize your lps coral can never be fed again, ugh sorry this is more a personal hatred of my own cleaner shrimp, lol

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you’re right around a perfect bioload for the size of aquarium, but you could add another small fish or two and still not be dangerously overstocked. It just depends on what you want to keep in the tank, what kind of filtration you have, and how much/what kind of live rock you have. If you’re mostly interested in keeping softies with some LPS, you could add another fish or two, if you’re planning on a mixed reef or SPS dominant tank, I’d probably stay where you’re at (but this depends on how effective your nutrient export is, if you have a productive refugium, or can effectively keep your nutrients in check through water changes or carbon dosing, or maybe all of these methods, you could probably still add another small fish or two). There are just a lot of factors to think about and what your plan for the tank is.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
forgot to say, my vote would be one small/medium size fish like a dwarf angelfish or leopard wrasse. Or 2 small fish like springeri or azures damselfish. like tremors said, it is going to matter on the nutrient export as well

OP
OP
D

DKQuinn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont add the cleaner shrimp if you fully qt your stuff though as it isnt necessary and usually eats all the food directly from corals mouths (bothering the heck out of them), They start as being cool and then u realize your lps coral can never be fed again, ugh sorry this is more a personal hatred of my own cleaner shrimp, lol
I have heard of this. I thought it was only undigested food. Good to know!

OP
OP
D

DKQuinn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you’re right around a perfect bioload for the size of aquarium, but you could add another small fish or two and still not be dangerously overstocked. It just depends on what you want to keep in the tank, what kind of filtration you have, and how much/what kind of live rock you have. If you’re mostly interested in keeping softies with some LPS, you could add another fish or two, if you’re planning on a mixed reef or SPS dominant tank, I’d probably stay where you’re at (but this depends on how effective your nutrient export is, if you have a productive refugium, or can effectively keep your nutrients in check through water changes or carbon dosing, or maybe all of these methods, you could probably still add another small fish or two). There are just a lot of factors to think about and what your plan for the tank is.
I do plan to do mostly soft corals with maybe a few hard. This is my first salt and don’t want to go crazy lol. Learning with this one and plan to do a 100+ gallon in the future. I have some zoas, hammer, and favia in a QT right now. I plan to add more softies. With that, would you think a hawk fish or fire fish would put me overboard with bio load?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do plan to do mostly soft corals with maybe a few hard. This is my first salt and don’t want to go crazy lol. Learning with this one and plan to do a 100+ gallon in the future. I have some zoas, hammer, and favia in a QT right now. I plan to add more softies. With that, would you think a hawk fish or fire fish would put me overboard with bio load?
no but hawkfish can eat smaller fish, their mouths are surprisingly expansive. firefish you could add 2 no problem, watch out if you dont have a lid though as they jump more than even wrasses

OP
OP
D

DKQuinn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no but hawkfish can eat smaller fish, their mouths are surprisingly expansive. firefish you could add 2 no problem, watch out if you dont have a lid though as they jump more than even wrasses
Oooh, good to know about the fire fish! I learned that the hard way about wrasses. Lost a carpenter flasher wrasses (my favorite fish) that way. Still trying to make a net type lid I like to fix that problem.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
diy net by bulkreefsupply.com isnt bad and pretty easy to build if you were looking for a net top... i bought one a year ago and havent set it up, lazy/want to set up a new tank myself.
TG my leopard wrasse only likes to jump into and out of the overflow box whenever it wants, literally scared me cuz i though it was dead a few times but it's just really smart i guess.

OP
OP
D

DKQuinn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
diy net by bulkreefsupply.com isnt bad and pretty easy to build if you were looking for a net top... i bought one a year ago and havent set it up, lazy/want to set up a new tank myself.
TG my leopard wrasse only likes to jump into and out of the overflow box whenever it wants, literally scared me cuz i though it was dead a few times but it's just really smart i guess.
Thanks, ill check them out today!

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you could consider other inverts - pistol shrimp/goby would be awesome and not strain the bioload too much. Urchins are also super cool. Sexy shrimp are really interesting too.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back