Dinwooj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

New member here so go easy :)

I am 2 months into cycling my new build and all water parameters are where I want them and CUC doing their jobs well, so I think I am fish ready!

I have a few questions for all of you knowledgeable folks - your insight into any of them would be hugely appreciated:

My current wishlist is as follows:

2 Ocellaris Clowns
1 One Spot Foxface (will be removed when full size)
1 Kole Tang (again, removed once too big)
1 Six-line wrasse
1 Diamondback Goby

My questions:

1. What do you think of the list?! Any additions/changes you would make if it were you?

2. I am not 100% on the Goby or Wrasse species yet so any suggestions would be welcome!

3. I am also aware I could probably house 2-3 more fish, what would you do?

4.. In what order would you stock these? I am inclined to wait til the end for the wrasse & tang to try to avoid aggression issues. What do you think?

Thanks in advance for all replies and any advice you would give to a new reefer would be most welcome.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! The fish list is fine - and it's unlikely that either the Kole tang or One spot foxface will get more than 5-6" in captivity (and this will take years). In any event, try to find the smallest specimens possible.

1. Myself, I might hold off on the foxface at least until you get the tank established. There may not be enough algae (etc.) for him to nibble on and when they're not well-fed they can look at other tasty things - like corals... I do have a foxface, but my tank is also over a year old now (and I waited almost a year to add a rabbitfish).
2. I love my sixline wrasse (others have an entirely different opinion). If you do get one ensure there is a ton of rockwork and hiding places for it to explore, patrol and hunt. There seems to be some evidence of a correlation between lack of hiding/exploration spaces and eventual aggression. But if this is a concern there are a lot of other wrasses you can look at like leopard, coris, fairy, etc. I have a sixline and melanarus (along with four other wrasses) for "pest control" - and they all excel at this.
3. At least one (and only one) dwarf angel. Probably a coral beauty or flame as they seem to be the most laid-back of the genre. A dottyback or royal gramma adds a nice burst of color. Midas blennies are a personal favorite so they also get the nod. Flame hawkfish is another fish with great personality.
4. I don't think there's necessarily any specific order you need to add the fish unless you're introducing two of the same type (which you're not). Even fish that are advertised as "peaceful" sometimes aren't, and "aggressive" ones turn out to be very passive.

Here is the low profile reefscape in my 750, which has proven to be very amiable for the wrasses (particularly the sixline and melanarus). This design is mainly for the fish to keep them happy. Wherever you see a dark recess in the image rest assured that leads to a maze of caves and tunnels.

theabyss-fts2 2.jpg

OP
OP
Dinwooj

Dinwooj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! The fish list is fine - and it's unlikely that either the Kole tang or One spot foxface will get more than 5-6" in captivity (and this will take years). In any event, try to find the smallest specimens possible.

1. Myself, I might hold off on the foxface at least until you get the tank established. There may not be enough algae (etc.) for him to nibble on and when they're not well-fed they can look at other tasty things - like corals... I do have a foxface, but my tank is also over a year old now (and I waited almost a year to add a rabbitfish).
2. I love my sixline wrasse (others have an entirely different opinion). If you do get one ensure there is a ton of rockwork and hiding places for it to explore, patrol and hunt. There seems to be some evidence of a correlation between lack of hiding/exploration spaces and eventual aggression. But if this is a concern there are a lot of other wrasses you can look at like leopard, coris, fairy, etc. I have a sixline and melanarus (along with four other wrasses) for "pest control" - and they all excel at this.
3. At least one (and only one) dwarf angel. Probably a coral beauty or flame as they seem to be the most laid-back of the genre. A dottyback or royal gramma adds a nice burst of color. Midas blennies are a personal favorite so they also get the nod. Flame hawkfish is another fish with great personality.
4. I don't think there's necessarily any specific order you need to add the fish unless you're introducing two of the same type (which you're not). Even fish that are advertised as "peaceful" sometimes aren't, and "aggressive" ones turn out to be very passive.

Here is the low profile reefscape in my 750, which has proven to be very amiable for the wrasses (particularly the sixline and melanarus). This design is mainly for the fish to keep them happy. Wherever you see a dark recess in the image rest assured that leads to a maze of caves and tunnels.

theabyss-fts2 2.jpg

Thank you that's great advice.

Definitely going to try to buy all my fish small so that I can have them for longer and hopefully avoid aggression issues.

1. If you had a choice of wrasses based on pest control and aggression, which would you go for?
2. I am reluctant to get a dwarf angel due to their 50/50 reputation, maybe down the line once I am more comfortable?
3. Going to my LFS today and will see what I fancy in terms of size/health of specimen.

Finally, your tank is amazing!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. I like my sixline wrasse. Lots of personality and super friendly. I've had two now and zero issues with either. Melanarus wrasses are also great - but they do grow considerably larger. So from a "work" standpoint, gram for gram the sixline can't be beat. I also like that it it doesn't bury in the sand nightly.

2. Dwarf angels can be hit or miss. My coral beauty has never touched any corals; my midnight lives acans (one reason the midnight isn't on the recommended list).

3. Look for healthy with good coloration. Also make sure they're eating well before you take anything home.

Thanks! The fish seem to love it (all 44 of them!), so that's the most important thing.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back