stocking questions

Devin24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a new 120g set up a couple weeks ago. Just getting to the end of the first cycle using live sand, a mix of dry and live rock, and doing ghost feedings daily. Wondering if I should get just a few fish and few inverts or was thinking of ordering a cleaner crew pack from LiveAquaria with a couple fish. Would like to get some corals once I upgrade my lighting and water flow. Appreciate any input, thanks.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to start out slowly when adding fish to a new system so the nitrifying bacterial population will grow in the system to handle the ammonia released by the fish. I'd start off with only 1-2 fish and maybe add another fish each month or so. Inverts such as snails can be added anytime as long as you have algae being produced for them to feed upon; otherwise, you will need to feed them specially with seaweed sheets, etc... Shrimp can be a little more difficult in a brand new system since they like really stable water conditions. As for corals, it depends when to add them...you need nutrients in the system and the water parameters stable for most to thrive.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back