Stocking recommendation for a 40 gallon accounting for full grown fish.

Sourdoh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am gonna be picking up a AIO 40 gallon NUVO fusion pro 2. I understand I will need to cycle the tank and wait to add anything. My main question is basically as the title states. I only want to put fish in the tank that will be fine full grown in the same 40 gallon tank. I'm not expecting to be able to put a ton of fish in however I would like at least a pair of clowns and some corals. I don't plan on getting an anemone til I've been in the hobby for a while and get a bigger tank so no worries on that. Coral recommendations welcome too. The rest is undecided hence why I am here. Recommendations would be great!

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
2 clowns, bicolor blenny, wrasse (I like 6 line but can be aggressive), goby (yasha?) pistol combo, and some free swimmers? Maybe royal gramma or others. . .

sounds good to me. . .

or a single dwarf lionfish. . . though on second thought that might be a tight fit. . .

Upvote 0

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
2 clowns, bicolor blenny, wrasse (I like 6 line but can be aggressive), goby (yasha?) pistol combo, and some free swimmers? Maybe royal gramma or others. . .

this is a good list. similar to what i have in my 40

Upvote 0

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a coral beauty, occy clown, and aurora goby in my 40 breeder. Kamohara blenny and second occy in qt. You could do up to 7 fish in there, just be careful about compatibility.

Upvote 0

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember that clownfish can or will be territorial, and may take up more real estate than you would like. People go on all the time about how awful and aggressive dottybacks are in the tank, but clowns are still the only fish that I've seen draw blood from their owners. I don't keep them anymore.

I'd focus on fish that live in different habitats and types of locomotion. Your tank is too small for any triggerfish, but dwarf whitespotted and radial filefish are wonderful and will probably leave your coral alone. Fairy wrasses are a great choice if you get a tight-fitting screen. And a striped/fang blenny would be a good fish for your tank.

But aren't these tanks 50g? I have a IM "Nuvo Fusion" 40g cube.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sourdoh

Sourdoh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember that clownfish can or will be territorial, and may take up more real estate than you would like. People go on all the time about how awful and aggressive dottybacks are in the tank, but clowns are still the only fish that I've seen draw blood from their owners. I don't keep them anymore.

I'd focus on fish that live in different habitats and types of locomotion. Your tank is too small for any triggerfish, but dwarf whitespotted and radial filefish are wonderful and will probably leave your coral alone. Fairy wrasses are a great choice if you get a tight-fitting screen. And a striped/fang blenny would be a good fish for your tank.

But aren't these tanks 50g? I have a IM "Nuvo Fusion" 40g cube.

This is the one I was looking at getting.

Upvote 0

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is the one I was looking at getting.
That's what I have...except that I paid $300 CAD for it used. Buying a used tank can save you a substantial amount of money if you can do a water test and determine that there's no seam incursions.

Upvote 0

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, and I got mine off of a kijiji listing. Just remember that, if you do a water test on these tanks, to bring along some oolite sand to put in as well. These IM tanks use black silicone sealant, and white oolite shows up very well in any seam incursions. I speak from experience...

Upvote 0

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 132 59.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 29.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 78 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.5%
Back