Stocking suggestions to existing tank; anthias suggestion too please!

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I was wondering if I could get some stocking suggestions for my reefer 250 (55 display volume). Right now I have:

2 clown fish (1.5" and 2")
1 yellow tang (3")
1 royal gramma (2")
2 cardinal fish (1.5" each)
1 exquisite wrasse (2.5")
1 neon goby
1 diamond goby (2")
1 helfrichi firefish (almost 2")

Would like to get some more active swimmers and considering:

Green chromis
McCosker flasher wrasse
Resplendent anthias

Looking for more suggestions on what I can add. Probably keep it to 2 more fish. I don't have that red pop, so I was pretty committed on the McCosker. I just hope it gets along with my exquisite. Anthias seem pretty cool, but I would only keep one and I don't definitively know how they do as singles. May add a mandarin down the road, but I am not confident in my pod population at the moment.

Thanks for the help!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BUMP

TangGang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you only keep it to 1 anthias? A pair of resplendents works quite well. I usually stay away from green chromis because they are susceptible to uronema and usually at least 1 at a store has it which means more definitely could too. Also they will get rather large and might fight each other. The flasher wrasse Is also a good idea. It’s just down to which you would rather have, a pair (IMO) of resplendents, or the wrasse.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the green chromis. I have four in my tank. they are usually always in the open and together. if you get talked out of those, check out swallowtail damsels. not aggressive like other damsels. video (not mine) on my build thread.

OP
OP
kartrsu

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you only keep it to 1 anthias? A pair of resplendents works quite well. I usually stay away from green chromis because they are susceptible to uronema and usually at least 1 at a store has it which means more definitely could too. Also they will get rather large and might fight each other. The flasher wrasse Is also a good idea. It’s just down to which you would rather have, a pair (IMO) of resplendents, or the wrasse.
I would totally get a pair, but I heard you need like 3 or more to diffuse aggression from a male. Are resplendents more friendly in groups of 2?

I like the green chromis. I have four in my tank. they are usually always in the open and together. if you get talked out of those, check out swallowtail damsels. not aggressive like other damsels. video (not mine) on my build thread.

I’ll definitely check out swallowtail damsels!

Thanks for the thoughts!

TangGang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would totally get a pair, but I heard you need like 3 or more to diffuse aggression from a male. Are resplendents more friendly in groups of 2?
I have seen many species of anthias kept very successfully in pairs. Also, I have owned many in pairs and they work out, as long as it is one male and one female. It's harder on the females if it is the more aggressive and larger species, but for the smaller ones that you are looking at it, it will work well. So yes they work, also I have a pair of resplendents right now which are very good together.

OP
OP
kartrsu

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen many species of anthias kept very successfully in pairs. Also, I have owned many in pairs and they work out, as long as it is one male and one female. It's harder on the females if it is the more aggressive and larger species, but for the smaller ones that you are looking at it, it will work well. So yes they work, also I have a pair of resplendents right now which are very good together.
Awesome thank you! Lastly can I ask your thoughts on lyretails and bimacs? More aggressive so no pairs?

TangGang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thank you! Lastly can I ask your thoughts on lyretails and bimacs? More aggressive so no pairs?
They both get huge. My lyretail female is at least 5 inches and she is so aggressive, I definitely don’t recommend and I have her in a 6ft tank. Bimacs also get large but less aggressive. Both get much too large for your tank, I wouldn’t even put a single one in your tank. You will love resplendents much more in the long run.

OP
OP
kartrsu

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They both get huge. My lyretail female is at least 5 inches and she is so aggressive, I definitely don’t recommend and I have her in a 6ft tank. Bimacs also get large but less aggressive. Both get much too large for your tank, I wouldn’t even put a single one in your tank. You will love resplendents much more in the long run.
Thanks! Very helpful information. I’m going to take your advice and go with the resplendents!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 66 79.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 4.8%
Back