Stocking suggestions

AngieLikedThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would your reccomend for my 20g? When it's time to add them in what could fit comfortably? Also, reccomentations for what a beginner should be working with. I know stores usually dont have the most accurate information.

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would your reccomend for my 20g? When it's time to add them in what could fit comfortably? Also, reccomentations for what a beginner should be working with. I know stores usually dont have the most accurate information.

A reef tank isn’t a reef tank without clowns. I love all the blennies also. 20 gallons is certainly on the nano side, so whatever you get, I’d suggest keeping the fish small

Tennyson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo gobies are a must, there's tons to choose from and most are community friendly and super fun to watch. Firefish gobies are a super cheap and beautiful. I also like pearly jawfish. Cardinalfish are nice too but banggai cardinals can be tricky for some.

OP
OP
AngieLikedThat

AngieLikedThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo gobies are a must, there's tons to choose from and most are community friendly and super fun to watch. Firefish gobies are a super cheap and beautiful. I also like pearly jawfish. Cardinalfish are nice too but banggai cardinals can be tricky for some.

How many would be good in a 20g?

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean up crew. Do not forget the clean up crew!!! I would say about 4 trochus snails, 6-8 hermits, a sand sifter of some sort (possibly a few depending on what you go with), and a cleaner shrimp. Could probably also add a few more snails.

In my 16 gallon biocube I have two or three margarita snails, two trochus snail (was three, but one died), a turbo snail, a fighting conch, 6 hermits (maybe seven, kinda hard to get an accurate count), and my fire shrimp. I will probably end up getting two or three nassarius snails to help the conch shift the sand in places he can't get to.

Edit: forgot my emrald crab!!! Can't be forgetting my little green girl!!!

OP
OP
AngieLikedThat

AngieLikedThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean up crew. Do not forget the clean up crew!!! I would say about 4 trochus snails, 6-8 hermits, a sand sifter of some sort (possibly a few depending on what you go with), and a cleaner shrimp. Could probably also add a few more snails.

In my 16 gallon biocube I have two or three margarita snails, two trochus snail (was three, but one died), a turbo snail, a fighting conch, 6 hermits (maybe seven, kinda hard to get an accurate count), and my fire shrimp. I will probably end up getting two or three nassarius snails to help the conch shift the sand in places he can't get to.
I didnt know you could fit so many in a tank this size. Would it be best to wait for the fish to be added before getting any of these?

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the cuc I find mine more interesting then my fish. Of my fish my blenny is my favorite, I love his personality and it’s fun to have a fish that perches, you expect to see them swimming. A goby is good too, they are fun to watch and a goby shrimp pair are very entertaining.

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt know you could fit so many in a tank this size. Would it be best to wait for the fish to be added before getting any of these?

Take it slow and do it as needed. The clean up crew needs fish in order to have something to clean up after. That said, if before you even get to add fish you have a huge algae bloom, it would not be a bad idea to add a few snails to get started on that.

The rest you can add little by little. Cleaner shrimp obviously needs fish to clean though lol

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take it slow and do it as needed. The clean up crew needs fish in order to have something to clean up after. That said, if before you even get to add fish you have a huge algae bloom, it would not be a bad idea to add a few snails to get started on that.

The rest you can add little by little. Cleaner shrimp obviously needs fish to clean though lol
If i remember correctly...i got my tubo snail and the margarita snails first. Then added a few Hermits, then the two damsels, then the conch. Then the trochus snails. Refilled my hermits (damsels killed a few). Cleaner shrimp...killed by damsels. Coral banded shrimp....killed by damsels. Got rid of damsels. Got clowns. Got another coral banded shrimp. Got a six line wrasse. It died under mysterious circumstances. Got another six line wrasse. It too died, but this time it took its killer out with it...the coral banded shrimp. Got emerald crab to deal with bubble algae. Finally got fire shrimp at the end of September.

Oh. And just to show you what sort of weird stuff my conch gets into (and this goes to show what @New&no clue is talking about in her post above), in this pic below, he came from behind that rock to where he currently is (to the right of the neon splatter hammer dead center of pic)...straight up a 90 angle... there is something seriously wrong with Jean-Conch Van Damme....
20191118_080753.jpg

Westoncase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For fish, in addition to the suggestions above for a piar of clowns, and/or a goby.... there are cardinal fish, fire fish, chromis, blennys, six line wrasse, ooh....a pistol shrimp and a watchmen goby!!
Sixline wrasses are shady. I dont trust them

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 65 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back