Stocking yellow banded possum wrasses

jonny4ever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 40 breeder. I have a snowflake clown, a kole tang and a yellow banded possum wrasse. I didn’t know yellow banded possum wrasses liked being in groups, would it be okay to add 2-3 more to my tank? They’re kinda expensive so I wonder if it’s okay to add them at separate times or if it’s okay to add them little by little?

OP
OP
J

jonny4ever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure about this one, but do know that regardless of how many, they tend to be on the shy side.
Took about 3 months for mine to stop being shy honestly, even then still shy

I did some research today and it seems the white ones like to be in pairs

yellows prefer groups of 3-5.
my reef is pretty peaceful honestly, no big fish or anything. My kole tang is maybe 2 inches

OP
OP
J

jonny4ever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. As long as no overly aggressive fish, they should be fine IMO. I’m curious how well are yours eating, are they picky feeders?
Eats mostly anything I throw in the tank it seems. As you stated they’re shy, so you gotta broadcast feed and they’ll eat behind the other fish. Besides pellets he eats flakes/mysis. He goes after reef roids too, I think he pecks at the rock work more than my 6line wrasse does in my 20g cube

just recently he started to slightly come towards the long feeder I use when I do feed frozen. Honestly for the first month I didn’t see him eat but he always looked full and healthy so I’m sure he was eating pods or something. I seem to have a high population of microfauna for fish to eat in my tank. I’ve had a sand sifting starfish for a year and he never climbs the sand, he’s 100% of the time under the the sand eating. And they say a 40 breeder is too small for them

My purpose for wanting more possum wrasses is because I was hoping that maybe adding 2-3 more would make mine less shy? They’re super small fish like chromis so they shouldn’t have a huge impact on bioload. I would have to do more research but maybe they swim relatively close? Would look really nice to have 3 cute little yellow banded possum wrasses swimming close to each other. Cheapest I’ve seen them around me though is 60$ so they aren’t cheap lolol. They’re so peaceful I don’t think adding them slowly will cause them to fight, idk. If I do add more I’ll try to make sure I buy 2

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't heard of possum wrasse as being a community fish before, more solo.

I think you'd be fine with one. He will become less shy with time. Sounds like you have a good stocking list!

OP
OP
J

jonny4ever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah sorry for missing that as well. Do you have plans to pair the Clown? And are there any other fish you could be interested in?
Not really unless I find a nice black one maybe, They can be aggressive towards small fish sometimes when around the anenomes from my experience. And my possum wrasse isn’t a fiesty guy he won’t be able to protect himself. Honestly I like the snowflake clown alone, I have a pair in my 20g and tbh they take up space and can be boring.

Yeah I can get a 75g tank and place it on the same stand, just didn’t because I’m using hob gear right now and as a noob I didn’t wanna try that with a 75g. I’m adding a sump next week so if I ever want the 75g I just need to find one honestly.

My tangs 2 inches right now, I made sure to get the smallest one. He’s my only algae eater as well so no real competition for the territories he takes. Bulk reef supply puts 3 inch yellow tangs in 40 breeders. A 40 breeder won’t be my forever tank I see myself upgrading within under a year to a 75g.

As I stated I’m adding a sump and will be upping my filtration with a better skimmer (using tunze 9001) and adding a refugium. It’s only a 10g sump it’s the easiest I can fit and remove from Marineland stand. So with the better filtration I wanted to add some nice small fish. If I get a bigger tank like a 75g I’ll probably further mod my stand to accommodate 20g long. I’ve had this 55g stand for about 7 years now, was using it on my old planted tank back in the day. The gear that’s on the way to my house will also work on a 75g just fine I for sure will upgrade

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 40 breeder. I have a snowflake clown, a kole tang and a yellow banded possum wrasse. I didn’t know yellow banded possum wrasses liked being in groups, would it be okay to add 2-3 more to my tank? They’re kinda expensive so I wonder if it’s okay to add them at separate times or if it’s okay to add them little by little?
You can add them at seperate times but be cautious with the eel… The eel is able to eat these guys since they’re a smaller species of fish.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 61.5%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back