Stone from Backyard for Nori

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a couple of small, flat stones in the backyard that seem perfect size/weight for rubber-banding nori on, in order to feed my pink urchin.

Probably been exposed to pesticides and I don't know anything about the composition and what might leach from it so I was thinking (unless this is just stupid), let soak in some saltwater for a week or so.

Does this make sense?
Should I do anything else first, like peroxide or something?
If soaking even makes sense, RODI or saltwater and for how long?

If the answer is just not worth the risk, that's fine.

Here's a pic in case anything useful about a visual:

rocks.JPG

*urchin completely annihilated most of the coralline on my live rock and is now finally eating nori but, currently, I stick it on a clip on the glass but the nori hangs out away from the glass so the urchin basically has to hold himself to the glass by his head and eat the free-floating nori from the open water. (((Bad description there,,, sorry)))

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can get weighted clips.

I wouldn't risk it. No way to know what pesticides might be present, or how durable those pesticides would be against soaking or anything else.

Hydrogen peroxide is good for removing organics (like getting blood out of clothes), but I don't think it'd do much for most pesticides.

OP
OP
EricR

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get weighted clips.

I wouldn't risk it. No way to know what pesticides might be present, or how durable those pesticides would be against soaking or anything else.

Hydrogen peroxide is good for removing organics (like getting blood out of clothes), but I don't think it'd do much for most pesticides.
Thanks... figured that might be the most reasonable answer.

Weighted clips sound like the way to go but, previously, that's what I was looking for and didn't see any so will have to search again.

If you know of any (weighted clips) right off, feel free to point me to them.

Back