Stopped eating but no physical signs of disease other than lethargy

Edp251

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

My 135 gallon DT has been up for 8 months, acropora are coloring up and the small tangs I started with are growing rapidly and are fat and happy. Several months ago i added a pair of pink square anthias that had been at a local LFS for months. They both did great for 1-2 months, then the male stopped eating and started to rest more. Weeks later the female did the same. They had been voracious eaters getting three meals a day consisting of Rods, pellets, PE mysis and PE calanus.

I eventually decided to isolate them in a separate tank with lower flow and prazipro to see if I could get them to eat. They both eventually died but never had any spots, visible mucous, sores or wounds etc.. The time from when they stopped eating to death was around a month. They were my first anthias so I chalked it up to something i was not doing but did not replace them or add anything else to the tank.

About a month later, one of my blue-green chromis stopped eating. I have had 2 of these guys for 3+ years as they were some of the first fish in my previous build. The other fish is thriving.

Is this typical of any specific malady?

Thanks for your help!

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would guess internal parasites. Did you notice any other symptoms like white stringy poop in other fish? That's typically a good indicator of parasites.

Treatment for this is metroplex + prazipro or just use general cure.

OP
OP
Edp251

Edp251

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Fritz. I have not noticed the stringy, white poop and i have looked. of course, that does not mean that I have not missed it. i have the chromis in a hospital tank now with prazi pro. He still has lots of meat on him so not emaciated yet. Will look into adding metroplex. Thanks.

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Fritz. I have not noticed the stringy, white poop and i have looked. of course, that does not mean that I have not missed it. i have the chromis in a hospital tank now with prazi pro. He still has lots of meat on him so not emaciated yet. Will look into adding metroplex. Thanks.
Prazi is great for things like flukes but they don't really do much against most internal parasites so I'd get my hands on metroplex and add it to their food

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back