Store bought vs. homemade food

Do you just buy frozen food from the store, or do you make something homemade with frozen LFS food?

• Homemade including LFS bought frozen food

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Frozen Food from LFS only

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My own frozen mix... rope grown mussels, wild caught scallops and shrimp, whatever wild caught white fish is on sale, nori sheets and dulse, a bit of RODI... pulse several times then blend quite a bit. Paste it into piece of plastic egg crate (the kind you would see in a false ceiling air return cutout) on a platter and freeze. Give it a few whacks and it comes out (usually) in perfect small cubes. I feed Omega Reef formula or frozen mysis rarely if I'm out of my own stuff. Dose live phyto as well...

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I only feed frozen straight from the LFS but that’s because I have a 20G with 3 fish and a sheet of rods, pack of mysis, and pack of spirulina brine shrimp have lasted me almost a year.

Now when I upgrade and have 30+ fish in a 300g+ tank I will be making my own food from the store like I do at work. Might cost $200-300 but it will last at least 6 months or more.

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make my own "private reserve" frozen food. My process is to take a bag of mixed seafood from Costco (or similar) and process it in a blender and place in a large bowl. To this I add a flat pack of krill, brine shrimp and blood worms. Next I add sheets of crumbled nori, spirulina, vitachem, garlic, reef roids, and coral amino. I blend the mixture together by hand (with gloves on) and evenly spread into ice cube trays (link below) for individual servings. The fish go nuts for this stuff and it has the added benefit of feeding corals.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 36 59.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back