Store bought vs. homemade food

Do you just buy frozen food from the store, or do you make something homemade with frozen LFS food?

• Homemade including LFS bought frozen food

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Frozen Food from LFS only

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters

ajtomase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious to know what everyone is feeding their livestock. Are you feed frozen food right you get right from your LFS, or do you make your own mixtures/blends of various frozen foods and fish/shellfish that you freeze and portion out? If homemade, what do you include in it?

DH78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make homemade frozen. I put in reef chilli, freeze dried krill, freeze dried mysis, and TDO chromaboost pellets soaked with Selcon. I mix this with whatever white fish is on sale at the grocery store, frozen raw shrimp, mussels, and a small amount of oilier fish like tuna or salmon. Mix it all up, feeze it on a sheet. I cut it into cubes when it is partially frozen. After fully frozen, put it in a freezer bag and it's ready to go.

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make my own from fresh and frozen seafood (squid, clams, shrimp, oyster, scallops, assorted fish) from the Asian market. Then I add selcon, frozen mysis and nori

Why Asian market? Because the seafood selection is always better and fresher and of course much much cheaper than your typical chain grocery stores.

hqn77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mostly flake, pellets and nori. Everytime (usually once a week) family has seafood like cod, tilapia, shrimp or squid for dinner, I usually soak a few pieces in tank water and chop. Use this as a treat and don't have to stock up freezer on stinky fish food. Fishes go crazy.

OP
OP
ajtomase

ajtomase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make homemade frozen. I put in reef chilli, freeze dried krill, freeze dried mysis, and TDO chromaboost pellets soaked with Selcon. I mix this with whatever white fish is on sale at the grocery store, frozen raw shrimp, mussels, and a small amount of oilier fish like tuna or salmon. Mix it all up, feeze it on a sheet. I cut it into cubes when it is partially frozen. After fully frozen, put it in a freezer bag and it's ready to go.
That sounds great! Do you blend it all together or just chop it up?

hqn77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds great! Do you blend it all together or just chop it up?
I just do a rough chop. Big chunks will keep bigger aggressive fishes busy while more timid fishes get a chance to feed.

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my first batch of frozen the other day and OMG the stink! But the fish seem to like it.

I didn’t like how some pierces were to big and other stuff was getting to chopped to quick.

next time I will blend everything separately and then hand mix together so I can get more consistency through out the mix. I spent $35 at the Asian mart and got white fish, salmon, shrimp, squid, octopus, clams.

after making a chunky slurry I put into gallon freezer bags. Next day cut open the bag and chopped into cubes and put cubes in smaller freezer bags.

I think next time I will also try and add eggs (fish eggs or something) and mysis to the mix maybe even selcon or some vitamins.

I don’t mind smaller particles as the corals can eat that

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed pre made frozen foods. I dont trust myself to get fresh seafood or to add any additives that might make it equal or better to store bought. I do have a wide variety and get a mix of upper end and lower end. Krill. Ect.
D

N3mo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get frozen foods locally from a company called planktonyx, its blended ingredients and added vitamins for fish to live a healthy life. I trust it 100% percent as ive seen only good things happen since i started using it and the supplier is a marine biologist who is extremely passionate about fish health.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't consider freeze dried or any dry foods can be called home made. Only fresh or frozen live foods would I consider true home made.
I buy fresh dead or live foods from the fish market and process them myself then freeze in small pots.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make my own. The only thing cones from the lfs is fish eggs and freezer dried plankton.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my first batch of frozen the other day and OMG the stink! But the fish seem to like it.

I didn’t like how some pierces were to big and other stuff was getting to chopped to quick.

next time I will blend everything separately and then hand mix together so I can get more consistency through out the mix. I spent $35 at the Asian mart and got white fish, salmon, shrimp, squid, octopus, clams.

after making a chunky slurry I put into gallon freezer bags. Next day cut open the bag and chopped into cubes and put cubes in smaller freezer bags.

I think next time I will also try and add eggs (fish eggs or something) and mysis to the mix maybe even selcon or some vitamins.

I don’t mind smaller particles as the corals can eat that
Freeze on a shallow tray/ cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Much easier to cut and handle.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of my fish across the board get pellets or flakes.
I do feed frozen brine shrimp, mysis, and bloodworms though.
I also have the repashys mix that I mix bloodworms into.

diverrad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use American Reef HPD, kinda home made but with a kit. I’m really happy with it, you can tweek it to what you want add nori, reef chili or whatever. Best part is your fish can graze on it for several hours really cuts down on aggression.

Buckster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have always used frozen from lfs which I would take a combination of 4 ingredients and thaw them in a container containing tank water.
1 week ago I decided to do the homemade with LFS. Clams, Squid, Scallops, Shrimp, Fish, Frozen mysis, Assorted Marine mix, Blood Worms, Brine shrimp, Selcon, Spirulina Powder, Reef Roids, Chili Powder ,Paracoccus Powder and Benefits Benereef.
Mixed it all in the blender and poured/scraped onto a flat pan covered with wax paper. My green mix feeds both corals and fish. Large enough pieces for the larger fish. My chili coral hasn't opened for two months until two days ago. Ironic!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 47 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back