Store rescued Puffer, needs urgent help!

OP
OP
Mhamilton0911

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For all following, sadly the puff already passed. I last checked on him an hour ago and he was still ok, in the same position, breathing a little slower. However now he just wasn't moving, or breathing. Still in the same spot.

I double checked the copper, it was still at 2.5, still no detectable ammonia, and temp at 80.

I fear I was too late. I should have acted sooner and that was my fault.

I did see a large amount of what I'm assuming bailing parasites underneath him when i moved him to a container.

I'm very sad about it and it only deepened my love for him. and puffers in general.

Dreminon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For all following, sadly the puff already passed. I last checked on him an hour ago and he was still ok, in the same position, breathing a little slower. However now he just wasn't moving, or breathing. Still in the same spot.

I double checked the copper, it was still at 2.5, still no detectable ammonia, and temp at 80.

I did see a large amount of what I'm assuming bailing parasites underneath him when i moved him to a container.

I'm very sad about it and it only deepened my love for him. and puffers in general.
so sorry. not your fault!

reef_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did see a large amount of what I'm assuming bailing parasites underneath him

Imo make a photo of the parasites and upload, maybe they can give you a post mortem cause.

p.s: fish would have likely died anyway looked very bad

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Sad it is and you gave it your best shot. Often disease is un-noticed until it is in accelarated stage and we can counter back but not realizing certain conditions have already taken their toll on a marine specimen or any pet to say.

My self rule for LFS purchase is:
Ask to see fish eat. If it does, find out what they fed it
Observe fish for any skin issues, bruising, redness etc
Then observe breathing rate. Should be relaxed- not labored
Look at eyes for any dots or cloudiness
See how it interacts with others in the tank its' in
I personally like a fish that s not easy to catch versus just falling into a net

FIND OUT WHAT SALINITY THEY ARE RUNNING THEIR TANKS AT

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

This is often the case when one tries to rescue an extremely sick fish. I stopped from saying it earlier - but - I would comment to your LFS - saying - 'your other fish are great - why was this one in one of your tanks - and why did you try to sell it to me for your cost'. JMHO

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You tried... Dang, much love for your efforts!

reef_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is often the case when one tries to rescue an extremely sick fish. I stopped from saying it earlier - but - I would comment to your LFS - saying - 'your other fish are great - why was this one in one of your tanks - and why did you try to sell it to me for your cost'. JMHO
Too late for that comment, LFS likely thinks he made a favour, maybe he wont even sleep tonight thinking OP cured it and he just gave away a free fish.

Jokes aside in the end customer left happy and it seems LFS is the only one who lost anything, so fair play to him.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too late for that comment, LFS likely thinks he made a favour, maybe he wont even sleep tonight thinking OP cured it and he just gave away a free fish.

Jokes aside in the end customer left happy and it seems LFS is the only one who lost anything, so fair play to him.
He is probably on this forum...

A+ for effort Mhamilton0911
Sorry for the loss.

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The most important thing is that you TRIED! I honestly believe all creatures have souls and this fish died cared for by you not in a fish store where no one cared. You cared and that means something

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry to hear, but you did what you could with the knowledge you had. You reached out for more and researched what you could. Nothing to blame yourself for. Its all about dealing with the situation with the tools, knowledge and resources available. Seems you used all 3.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks all!

Ok no hypo, just copper. Add to full strength copper, with rodi not tap with prime. Currently have 4 gals made, making more.

I did get a salifert copper test (all the store had) I'll order a hanna checker.

I'll move him to a new temp holding container with the fresh water made without prime, so I can drain and refill with rodi+salt (mixed to 1.026).

Coppersafe directions state 5ml to 4gallons. So I'll keep the tank at 8 gallons for easy math. I'll have 4 gals premixed with copper to use for waterchanges.

I'll add him back in slowly, drip acclimated to the copper treated water.

When should I try to feed him? The store gave me a few krill and silverslides as that was what they saw him eat. What else should I get for him?

Also I do want to state that this is my first time dealing with a disease. I've been super lucky to avoid it to this point, so all treatment plans are new to me, I've only read about them before.
My porcupine eats mostly krill seems to favor it. But also silversides, scallops and raw peeled deveined shrimp.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you ever run across this again, don't use copper with puffers. CP is a much better treatment for puffers. I have treated porcupines before that had velvet with CP.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back