Storing Saltwater for an extended period. Advice?

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

So, to kind of up my reefing game a tad and to combat a cyano plague I'm dealing with, I want to start storing an amount of salt water. Right now I mix (for my 40 gallon tank) 5 gallons at a time (approximately a 10% change) every Saturday, and use another 5 to fill up my reservoir, so 10 gallons are used every week. Every month I go by my lfs and acquire 40 gallons of RODI water, which sit each in 5 gallons jugs until I need them. So here is my new plan.

1. Get a brute trashcan and a new powerful powerhead to constantly run in it
  2. Every month when I get my 40 gallons of RODI water, I pour it all into the brute trash can
  3. Mix salt into the 40 gallons in the can
  4. Take water from the can 4 times a week for the weekly water changes and now with a reserve of salt water, use it to add any saltwater whenever I take any out (for instance when i'm siphoning out cyano and I need to replace the water!)
  5. Repeat steps 2 to 4
Can ya'll spot any issues with my plan. Problems storing saltwater for 1 month? Logistics issue? Is this a good idea?

3sgterror

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could also use the sock filter trick.

Siphon the water and cyano out as you do today, but run the water through a filter sock into your bucket or back into your sump. The filter sock will catch all the debris and cyano. The water will go into the bucket or back into your sump.

then pour the water back in. That way you cut down on the need of changing out water.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

So, to kind of up my reefing game a tad and to combat a cyano plague I'm dealing with, I want to start storing an amount of salt water. Right now I mix (for my 40 gallon tank) 5 gallons at a time (approximately a 10% change) every Saturday, and use another 5 to fill up my reservoir, so 10 gallons are used every week. Every month I go by my lfs and acquire 40 gallons of RODI water, which sit each in 5 gallons jugs until I need them. So here is my new plan.

1. Get a brute trashcan and a new powerful powerhead to constantly run in it
  2. Every month when I get my 40 gallons of RODI water, I pour it all into the brute trash can
  3. Mix salt into the 40 gallons in the can
  4. Take water from the can 4 times a week for the weekly water changes and now with a reserve of salt water, use it to add any saltwater whenever I take any out (for instance when i'm siphoning out cyano and I need to replace the water!)
  5. Repeat steps 2 to 4
Can ya'll spot any issues with my plan. Problems storing saltwater for 1 month? Logistics issue? Is this a good idea?
That should be fine. I do the same using IO, only I make my own RODI. I make up 40g of saltwater at a time in a brute and then use it for weekly 10g water changes. I store it at room (garage) temp and just heat it up right before a water change.

OP
OP
Herides

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should be fine. I do the same using IO, only I make my own RODI. I make up 40g of saltwater at a time in a brute and then use it for weekly 10g water changes. I store it at room (garage) temp and just heat it up right before a water change.
Awesome! Works for me. Btw, since yours is in a garage, how do you move the can once it's full of water, or better yet how do you move the water? Buckets at a time?

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Works for me. Btw, since yours is in a garage, how do you move the can once it's full of water, or better yet how do you move the water? Buckets at a time?
I have two brutes, one for RODI top off and one for saltwater. Both brutes are on wheels so I can move them around if needed. But for water changes, I’m old school and use 5g buckets.

OP
OP
Herides

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could also use the sock filter trick.

Siphon the water and cyano out as you do today, but run the water through a filter sock into your bucket or back into your sump. The filter sock will catch all the debris and cyano. The water will go into the bucket or back into your sump.

then pour the water back in. That way you cut down on the need of changing out water.
ooh! I actually really like that idea, though I cant imagine a filter sock is a perfect filter right, some of the cyano will still be in the water right (I wouldn't know as I don't have a filter sock yet)?

Also while I really do appreciate the suggestion (might actually go and try it) and you addressing the cyano thing I mentioned, but do you have any thoughts in general on the storage method, the ability to deal with the cyano was just a plus (mixing water every week is getting a bit annoying y'know)?

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Storing SW is a none issue unless you use high Alk/Ca salts that can precipitate

IMO logistics wise, it would be easier to purchase and RODI unit. Then instal float valves on some 5 gallon buckets to make water as you need it vs having to travel o the LFS.

OP
OP
Herides

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Storing SW is a none issue unless you use high Alk/Ca salts that can precipitate

IMO logistics wise, it would be easier to purchase and RODI unit. Then instal float valves on some 5 gallon buckets to make water as you need it vs having to travel o the LFS.
Is there a way to know if my salt is one that does have high alk/Ca? (I use Fritz pro aquatics Reef Pro Mix (the blue box) if that helps)?

Also yes! I would install an RODI unit, except I live with my mother atm and I have yet to convince her to let me modify one of the faucets in the house to attach an RODI but it is definitely something I want to do later. Thanks!

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Herides I have a similar setup to what you’re describing. But like @DivingTheWorld suggested get yourself a RODI of your own. Water is the biggest element of the tank so why not control it from the beginning. I’ve seen too many stories of folks picking up a bad batch of RODI from their LFS. I‘d change your process slightly.

1. Make as much saltwater as you can for your 5G jugs – so 40G worth? Ofe found storing SW in closed containers helps keep things from smelling funky etc. Lots of stories about struggles of keeping SW in Brutes.

2. Store RODI in your brute. Covered. No circulation or heat. It’s so much easier.

3. As you use your SW supply you can always make fresh batches from your RODI.

The RODI gives you backup to make more SW for emergencies or to help with your top off.

OP
OP
Herides

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Herides I have a similar setup to what you’re describing. But like @DivingTheWorld suggested get yourself a RODI of your own. Water is the biggest element of the tank so why not control it from the beginning. I’ve seen too many stories of folks picking up a bad batch of RODI from their LFS. I‘d change your process slightly.

1. Make as much saltwater as you can for your 5G jugs – so 40G worth? Ofe found storing SW in closed containers helps keep things from smelling funky etc. Lots of stories about struggles of keeping SW in Brutes.

2. Store RODI in your brute. Covered. No circulation or heat. It’s so much easier.

3. As you use your SW supply you can always make fresh batches from your RODI.

The RODI gives you backup to make more SW for emergencies or to help with your top off.
Yes, will def work harder on getting an RODI system. Like I said earlier, just a matter of getting the concept through to my mum that it would make things easier. Thanks for your tips and suggestions!

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, will def work harder on getting an RODI system. Like I said earlier, just a matter of getting the concept through to my mum that it would make things easier. Thanks for your tips and suggestions!
You’re welcome! The good news is that with a 40G tank you wouldn’t need a lot of space. A 32 G Brute will let you easily mix 25G of SW and not take up a ton of space. Same with a RODI unit you don’t need a lot of volume Good luck!

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a way to know if my salt is one that does have high alk/Ca? (I use Fritz pro aquatics Reef Pro Mix (the blue box) if that helps)?

Also yes! I would install an RODI unit, except I live with my mother atm and I have yet to convince her to let me modify one of the faucets in the house to attach an RODI but it is definitely something I want to do later. Thanks!

Fritz Blue is 8-9 dKH and 400-450 Ca, so no worries for precipitate imo

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS did a video on storing fresh saltwater and which brands‘ parameters maintained initial mix parameters and which did not. I would look for that video. I can tell you my red sea blue bucket drops alk pretty quickly after its initial mixing. I’ve had it mixed and sitting for several weeks and tested alk at 5dkh Down from around 8 on the initial mix.

test before you use especially if sitting for weeks at a time. Some salts are better than others at staying stable.

At a week or less I’m sure you’ll be fine.

blue space

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There is a way to test... Or you can visit their website. :D

When asked how many weeks you can store Fritz RPM, their FAQ reply says,

"If mixed to the correct salinity, it will not precipitate out. However, if it sits for a very long time (several weeks/months) you may want to check the alkalinity before adding to your aquarium.".

I tested mine and it was 8.4 after 3 weeks... Hope this helps. :)

Fritz RPM Parameters:

Salinity: 35 ppt (1.0264 sg)

Calcium: 400-450 ppm

Magnesium: 1300-1400 ppm

Alkalinity: 8.0-9.0 dKH

Strontium: 9 ppm

Potassium: 400 ppm

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would check salinity in the storage container. It will evaporate the same as your tank. I have 2 100 gal storage containers, one for salt water, and one for RO/DI water. If it's sealed, like mine are, then is doesn't tend to evaporate as badly, but it still can.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 58.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 56 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 68 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.4%
Back