Storm clown acting up, leave it or QT?

hmmmmm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having some issue with one if my clowns. Bought these as a pair about a month ago. Put them in a separate temporary tank and watched them for a few weeks. Took them a week to start eating, and always stayed at the top of the water but seemed fine. Now I've moved them over to the frag\clown tank for about 3 days.

First 2 days no issues but now one of them is staying vertical in the corner and seems to breathing a lot faster than the other one. Doesn't swim around and not a big fan of eating anymore, it will take 1 or 2 pellets, but only if it doesn't have to move, and nothing after that.

Can't see any signs of a parasite. Water values as follows:
IMG_20211105_211818.jpg

And made a short video to try and show the issue:

Now I'm thinking give it a few days to settle down in the new tank, especially since its still eating (something). But the fast breathing is worrying me a little. Any thoughts?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Having some issue with one if my clowns. Bought these as a pair about a month ago. Put them in a separate temporary tank and watched them for a few weeks. Took them a week to start eating, and always stayed at the top of the water but seemed fine. Now I've moved them over to the frag\clown tank for about 3 days.

First 2 days no issues but now one of them is staying vertical in the corner and seems to breathing a lot faster than the other one. Doesn't swim around and not a big fan of eating anymore, it will take 1 or 2 pellets, but only if it doesn't have to move, and nothing after that.

Can't see any signs of a parasite. Water values as follows:
IMG_20211105_211818.jpg

And made a short video to try and show the issue:

Now I'm thinking give it a few days to settle down in the new tank, especially since its still eating (something). But the fast breathing is worrying me a little. Any thoughts?

Your numbers seem 'odd'. For a frag tank - unless it was recently set up. With the nitrite. The fact that only 1 clown is affected suggests though that it might be a parasite/disease. Did you do anything to the fish in QT - Dips, prophylactic treatment - or just observation? Did the symptoms start before or after you moved them?

To me your nitrite is high - I cant see ammonia on your picture? I'm assuming the -- means '0'. But - I wouldn't be so sure.

@Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
hmmmmm

hmmmmm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your numbers seem 'odd'. For a frag tank - unless it was recently set up. With the nitrite. The fact that only 1 clown is affected suggests though that it might be a parasite/disease. Did you do anything to the fish in QT - Dips, prophylactic treatment - or just observation? Did the symptoms start before or after you moved them?

To me your nitrite is high - I cant see ammonia on your picture? I'm assuming the -- means '0'. But - I wouldn't be so sure.

@Jay Hemdal

Correct, the frag tank is new. But the whole setup was only moved to a new tank, about a week ago. Sump is filled with rock and corals, running on an opposite cycle. Rock is around 4 years old. Used roughly 20% of the old water, and 80% new.

Sump\liverock:
IMG_20211105_215017.jpg

Did not do anything in QT, only observation. Issue just started yesterday evening. Seemed fine before that.

The nitrite was tested by mastertronic, never ran it before so I'll check the result by hand. I think I have a salifert ammonia test somewhere. (The -- result is because I don't have the reagent loaded up in the mastertronic). I'll get the results ASAP

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Correct, the frag tank is new. But the whole setup was only moved to a new tank, about a week ago. Sump is filled with rock and corals, running on an opposite cycle. Rock is around 4 years old. Used roughly 20% of the old water, and 80% new.

Sump\liverock:
IMG_20211105_215017.jpg

Did not do anything in QT, only observation. Issue just started yesterday evening. Seemed fine before that.

The nitrite was tested by mastertronic, never ran it before so I'll check the result by hand. I think I have a salifert ammonia test somewhere. (The -- result is because I don't have the reagent loaded up in the mastertronic). I'll get the results ASAP
In theory - using all the old rock, etc you used for the frag tank - there should be no issue. I do not think the water would be an issue. A swim bladder issue can cause that type of swimming. Unfortunately - im just going by your description - because I can't view the video. Hopefully the disease experts will chime in soon

OP
OP
hmmmmm

hmmmmm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right tested the no2 and ammonia. Nitrite = 0.054. Ammonia is a bit harder to test, I've got a new API test kit, but it's giving a strange result.

IMG_20211105_224156.jpg

I'm gonna say that 0.5 according to API, which would be a problem. But then I tested my nano tank which has been up for almost 2 years with only 2 clowns.

IMG_20211105_225913.jpg

Same thing.. I've read somewhere this is normal for these test kits?

OP
OP
hmmmmm

hmmmmm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried to take some close up photos. I can see a string of poop with something in it. Looks like the pellets I've been feeding.

IMG_20211105_232846.jpg

IMG_20211105_232910.jpg

The QT has another pair of clowns in it ATM, but I could easily get a 5 gallon bucket, fresh water, heater, bubbler. I have prazipro, cupramine and general cure on hand. My first guess is some parasite, so start with prazi, and cupramine at half dose, since that can be used simultaneously. And than up the cupra tomorrow. Or just give it a day or 2, maybe it's just stressed out from the move?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It seems to me the clown looks like the fins are ragged -and it has thick slime - ? Brooklynella? ? something else? Await the expert opinion. @Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
hmmmmm

hmmmmm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to me the clown looks like the fins are ragged -and it has thick slime - ? Brooklynella? ? something else? Await the expert opinion. @Jay Hemdal
I think you might be right. I've borrowed someones phone, who has a macro lens. I think I'm seeing white mucus, although it might just be spots as well and the light from the phone is amplifying it.

Off course I don't have formaldehyde (you need a permit to get it here). A freshwater bath and moving it to qt might be the best bet to get it through the night (its midnight here so not much I can do with everything closed).

Attachments

• IMG_20211106_000732.jpg
    IMG_20211106_000732.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20211106_000719.jpg
    IMG_20211106_000719.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 19

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right tested the no2 and ammonia. Nitrite = 0.054. Ammonia is a bit harder to test, I've got a new API test kit, but it's giving a strange result.

IMG_20211105_224156.jpg

I'm gonna say that 0.5 according to API, which would be a problem. But then I tested my nano tank which has been up for almost 2 years with only 2 clowns.

IMG_20211105_225913.jpg

Same thing.. I've read somewhere this is normal for these test kits?
The API ammonia test is tough to use. I do what you did and test a known zero ammonia tank to “calibrate” it.
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you might be right. I've borrowed someones phone, who has a macro lens. I think I'm seeing white mucus, although it might just be spots as well and the light from the phone is amplifying it.

Off course I don't have formaldehyde (you need a permit to get it here). A freshwater bath and moving it to qt might be the best bet to get it through the night (its midnight here so not much I can do with everything closed).
Ahh, that could be Brooklynella. I find that tough to treat even with formalin. Perhaps try the 5 minute FW dip to try and buy some time?
Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back