Storm Season among us. Power outage readiness!!!

MrWellington

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a simple 2000w inverter with two 100AH Lithium batteries that feed critical life-support for two 120+ tanks. While I'm new to my neighborhood, the neighbors can't recall an extended outage (more than a few hours) in this area. Plus I can always ween off load as needed. (I.e. one heater, one powerhead, one return pump per tank).

vanguard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably need a better plan. I have this thing:
1699363591869.png

I keeps the basics going like wav makers and the return pump. My neptune lowers their speed to make it last longer.

I also have a gas powered generator that we hook up for the fish tanks, refrigerator, home internet, etc. Finally, the fish room has propane fireplaces in case 4 watt per gallon isn't enough heater in a home without power.

As I think about it, I'm not doing too bad. I really could use a bigger battery but aside from that I'm good for days.

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two portable generators totaling 4000W. My tank is 10gal currently only running an Aquaclear 50, 50W Eheim heater, and a nano Orbit Marine light, as well as an airline fitted with a T-valve for some extra coverage for less power. The tank is only a couple months old and fortunately I haven't experienced an outage yet (knock on wood), but tornado season is only a few weeks away. The room temperature stays around 80*F in the summer -- which lasts ~10 months of the year in Atlanta -- so fortunately my heaters rarely need to kick on.

Outages here also tend to be brief compared to those associated with hurricanes. I used to live in south FL where I lived through Hurricane Wilma. We were without power for 14 days and most people's generators also failed. Some went without power for as long as 4 weeks. Can't even imagine trying to sustain a tank through that!

Gellisjr1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't take up that much space.

20180516_200651.jpg
I am interested in this generator set up. I like how it runs off propane. Do you have to do anything differently after using the generator for long term storage? With gasoline generators the fuel needs to be completely drained and the carburetor fogged and stabilizer added to the fuel for long term storage. For these reasons this is why I don't have a gas generator. I don't want the up keep after each use or the mechanical repairs if I happen to forget.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 35.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back