Storm Season among us. Power outage readiness!!!

BRS

Neoma

View Badges
Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone, I wanted to make this thread to give myself and others who live in Florida and other outlying states who are affected by hurricanes and other storms which can leave us without power for days to weeks at a time. I am still newish to the hobby and I haven't had my tank up and running long so I haven't experienced a power outage lasting longer than a few minutes while the tank has been up and running. Anyone who has a good plan of action that will work on the smallest to largest sizes of tanks. I myself have a 25gal lagoon. I already have a bubble box and extra batteries, and frozen bottles of water to help oxygen levels and water temp. Any other tips or tricks to help your aquarium survive is greatly appreciated. Also I understand a generator is the best option probably, but I live in an apartment and don't have storage space for one. Thank you to all who post and happy reefing everyone, stay safe during this storm season.
I'm in the same boat!

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED lighting

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Second power outage of the year for me, Went off about 30 minutes ago. Already got the generator running and a fire started in the wood stove. Generator has definitely paid for itself and then some now!

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Generator was critical two years ago when we had a 'snowmaggedon' that pulled thousands of trees down on power lines all over the county. My power was out for a week and the house was down to 40 degrees. Between my mom and I we had 3 generators on hand - only one would start due to neglect. So that one was tasked with keeping my tank alive. Once I got done dealing with being snow bound I was able to spend time cleaning carburetors and got the other generators going. ALWAYS properly prepare your gasoline powered generators for storage!

disdareef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I keep a generator ready. My wife is going to be ticked when I plug it up to reef to make sure the corals stay warm while my kids are bundled up freezing with no heat!!!

lisarafala

View Badges
Reaction score
Last year after Irma, we were without power for 3 days. I just used a battery powered air pump with a stone, opened the windows to help keep it cool, and stirred the tank every 3-4 hours. I didn't have a single loss.:)
I have a 29 gallon with her hang over the back filter. I am also worried about outages living in Florida. How do I keep the filter running the heater running and the powerhead. I need a good enough battery for all three but nothing too large because I also live in apartment and I don’t want propane in my apartment. Any advice on a purchase would be greatly appreciated

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED lighting

Untapped

View Badges
Reaction score
Not many suggestions for people that live in Condos/Apartments...
I have very limited space myself, and no place to really store or set up a generator. Recently we lost power for 3 days - i wound up getting a battery operated air pump found in sporting dept/fishing supplies, a boat/marine battery, an everstart device (very small size) that has 2 outlets and 2 usb ports and attaches to the battery. I also invested in zeolite for saltwater tanks <tho still hesitant to ever use it> to help if ammonia spikes, and the hothands warmers to put into a bottle and float in the tank to help keep heat regulated...it all fits under my stand and my only concern now is if the battery loses charge in between storm outages.

Also having enough saltwater on hand for frequent water changes during an outage.

Cost me around 100 for peace of mind. Pretty simple and efficient - I never had to try my hothands in bottles idea due to the 2 plugs on the everstart converter.

BRS

Are you currently housing your most favorite fish ever?

• Yes (please tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 121 34.1%
  • No

Votes: 226 63.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 2.3%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
URC