Storm Season among us. Power outage readiness!!!

MPCReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tampa Bay are here , everyone is going crazy people are flooding the grocery stores and gas stations, with the feel of panic in the air, I worked this morning on the beach and had to go through a police check point they were only letting residents and contractors on the beaches.
They are saying damage is imminent and mass power outages are guaranteed, with rumors of the city of Tampa down town manually shutting down power before the storm even hits! It's going to be intense everyone go to shelter don't be brave its not worth it, it doesn't make a good story if you can't tell it!

MAX_WEB_TROP_ATL2_storm_info_1280x720.jpg
Looks like you guys may luck out, unfortunately for us in Charlotte County that spells trouble.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you guys may luck out, unfortunately for us in Charlotte County that spells trouble.
How did you make out? We got power yesterday. Still no internet or cell. (I'm piggybacking on Walmarts wifi right now)
Looks like I lost one major coral, damaged a few more but no fish casualties.
Ran a solar bubbler and a few battery ones.
Traded off some power from the generator to circulate the water for a few hours a day.
Relied mostly on sunlight.

MPCReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you make out? We got power yesterday. Still no internet or cell. (I'm piggybacking on Walmarts wifi right now)
Looks like I lost one major coral, damaged a few more but no fish casualties.
Ran a solar bubbler and a few battery ones.
Traded off some power from the generator to circulate the water for a few hours a day.
Relied mostly on sunlight.
Got power back Thursday night and just got internet back today. Was able to run tank on inverter and generator, lights and all. Have a couple SPS looking rough, hopefully they come back but fish and softies all made it through like champs.

knd342

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a solar battery backup that I really like. Can run minimum tank equipment for about 30 hours on a full charge before I need to charge it again via solar (which I can do while it's running the equipment.)

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which brand? I went the same route with a Goal Zero Yeti 500x, it’s a small tank this should be enough along with back ups to mp10s

R-balljunkie

View Badges
Reaction score
South Pacific Ocean Longitude: 167.6546 deg. Latit
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone is interested....just tested, ran the whole house just fine. Barely blipped when the 4 ton air conditioner came on.

I plan on storing it away in my garage when not used. Good alternative to fixed whole house generators. Not on a ATS but can be deployed in a matter of minutes.

links are just for reference, plenty of vendors to choose from...

I've had this setup for around a year now, fires right up every time. I keep it on a battery tender in the garage, can have it deployed in under 5 minutes, two persons. I think the costs can be knocked down to under 2k if the locale is ideal. So far, not a drop of gasoline, only natural gas with the propane tanks as backup.

Generator 13kw$ 1,344.00https://www.lowes.com/pd/DuroMax-13...Portable-Generator-with-Oem-Engine/1000842388
NG conversion kit$ 106.00

Natural Gas Conversion Kit Duromax XP13000EH Generator 13KW LP 20HP Dual Fuel LP | eBay

DUROMAX XP13000EH. Remove the existing propane line that runs between the regulator and carburetor already installed on the generator. No venturi adapter required, kit will allow you to run low pressure propane or low pressure natural gas.
www.ebay.com
Transfer Switch R510A$ 435.53

Reliance Controls R510A Pro/Tran2 - 50-Amp 120/240V 10-Circuit Outdoor Transfer Switch w/ Wattmeters & Inlet

Buy Reliance Controls R510A Direct. Check the Reliance Controls Pro/Tran2 - 50-Amp (120/240V 10-Circuit) Outdoor Transfer Switch w/ Wattmeters & Inlet ratings before checking out.
50' Generator fuel hose, 1"$ 295.00

Gas-Flo 1 in. Low Temperature Type I Propane Delivery Hose

Since 1975, JME has been a trusted distributor of petroleum equipment, loading systems, sanitary supplies, fire safety products, and industrial parts. Shop now to see why 1000s of customers have chosen us as their preferred provider.
50' Generator Power Cord 50-amp 125/250-volt 14-50p To Cs6364 Locking Connector$ 218.00

50ft Generator Power Cord 50-amp 125/250-volt 14-50p To Cs6364 Locking Connector

Features & Details [DURABLE MATERIAL]- The resistant STW cord is made for heavy duty construction, it is built to the highest quality standards. [N14-50P & CS6364 ]- Plug (Male): 14-50P with handle, elbow plug style for strain-relief; Receptacle (Female): SS2-50R, Locking Style [50' CORD...
1" ball valve, NG$ 13.51

Everbilt 1 in. Brass FIP x FIP Lever Handle Gas Ball Valve-VGV2LHB5EB - The Home Depot

The Everbilt Gas Ball Valve is listed with Underwriters Laboratory (UL) for safe use with liquefied petroleum gas (LP Gas), natural gas, flammable liquids, and heated oils. This 2-piece gas valve also
www.homedepot.com
3/4" iron union$ 9.00

LDR Industries 3/4 in. Black Iron Union-310 U-34 - The Home Depot

Handle your home's gas pipe needs with STZ pipe fittings. This 3/4 in. black iron union is made for use with non-potable water sources. It is rated to withstand pressures of up to 300 PSI and is 100% factory tested. Above ground use only. Fittings, nipples, and pipe come in an array of sizes to...
www.homedepot.com
1 x 3/4 Threaded 3000# 316 Reducing Coupling$ 3.55

LDR Industries 1 in. x 3/4 in. Black Malleable Iron FPT x FPT Reducing Coupling-310 RC-134 - The Home Depot

When selecting gas pipe for your home STZ pipe and fittings are the way to go. Our durable black iron fittings are 100% pressure tested and protected right at the factory. Pipe, connectors and fittings
www.homedepot.com
1" quick connect fitting$ 85.00

Parker Propane/Natural Gas GF Quick Coupling & Nipple BPGFN16-16F BVGFC16-16F 1" | eBay

Parker Propane/Natural Gas GF Quick Coupling & Nipple.
www.ebay.com
Rectorseal 96506 S1-02431995000 Hardstart$ 23.00
$ 2,532.59

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding apts/condos, have a 15 gallon waterbox and my power is CONSTANTLY going out.
My main concerns have always been:
Water movement - O2 movement etc.
Temperature - Raising temp and lowering temp.
Nutrients - removing extra and adding etc.

Water movement - battery powered airstones, bout a cheapie off amazon and split the tubing so there are two moving spots.

Temperature - Cooling the temp, I keep a battery powered fan and kind of set it on the net cover.
Most difficult component is actually warming the water. Tried the hot hands deal, kept a bunch of the larger ones, taped them to the glass when the temp drops quickly, cover the tank with those emergency blankets to keep the heat in etc. Keeps the water AT temp. Doesn't really warm it. Extra temp probe too just in case.

Nutrients - I keep a 5 gallon of pre made salt and a 5 gallon of RO/DI ready for water changes etc (potentially raise the temp of the pre-made to adjust water temp?)

I keep the fan and airstones in a small box in my stand, so they are out of the way, RO/DI extra, if you have an ATO, you can save space by multi-using that. Keep a gallon jug of pre-made salt.

*This of course is all based on the size of your tank.... with yours being a 25, you might be able to just keep a couple things?

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always had a backup generator for the just in case.
And one that is big enough to run your furnace if you live up north. Tank electric heaters can't keep up when the room temp drops in the 50s or lower.

Bathbob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm out of town and the power went out yesterday at 6pm. Battery backup kicked in and kept everything running without a hitch until 2am, when it ran out of juice and I lost visibility into what's going on remotely.

The tank is 88 gal display that had a water temp of 79F when I lost contact. I was able to turn the gas furnace up to get the inside air temp to 76F, and I experienced overnight outside temps in the 50s. The outside temp is 55F now.

I have a huge 12V battery powering a single powerhead that's pretty high in the water (it sometimes makes vortex little patterns) that should be able to run for a week or more. I tested it before I left and it was working. I'm relying on it now.

Power is supposed to be back on in 5 hours, but outages are so widespread, I don't think I can bank on that.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm out of town and the power went out yesterday at 6pm. Battery backup kicked in and kept everything running without a hitch until 2am, when it ran out of juice and I lost visibility into what's going on remotely.

The tank is 88 gal display that had a water temp of 79F when I lost contact. I was able to turn the gas furnace up to get the inside air temp to 76F, and I experienced overnight outside temps in the 50s. The outside temp is 55F now.

I have a huge 12V battery powering a single powerhead that's pretty high in the water (it sometimes makes vortex little patterns) that should be able to run for a week or more. I tested it before I left and it was working. I'm relying on it now.

Power is supposed to be back on in 5 hours, but outages are so widespread, I don't think I can bank on that.
Sounds like the water circulation is covered. Was the battery backup a whole house unit then that you were able to run the furnace before it died?

Bathbob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the water circulation is covered. Was the battery backup a whole house unit then that you were able to run the furnace before it died?
Yeah exactly. Unfortunately the battery is only 13.5kWh, it was around 75% charged at the time of the outage, and my consumption was like 1-1.4kW average.

I have a small 3.2kW solar system too, but it's almost the worst day of the year for solar.

All-in-all, I was prepared and I should be OK, just as long as the power comes back on soon. Stressful though.

Bathbob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah exactly. Unfortunately the battery is only 13.5kWh, it was around 75% charged at the time of the outage, and my consumption was like 1-1.4kW average.

I have a small 3.2kW solar system too, but it's almost the worst day of the year for solar.

All-in-all, I was prepared and I should be OK, just as long as the power comes back on soon. Stressful though.
Power came back for a total outage time of 12 hrs. Only the powerhead was operating during that time. Tank temp went from 79F -> 72F and room air went from 76 -> 65F with outside temps in the 50s. Video is back up and it seems all animals are OK!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full report on Amazon's $400 Jackery 500 lipo backup

full charge

loading test from 100%: only running one airstone bubbler and one tetra preset heater that runs 78 degrees, a bit cool outside so the heater for sure cycles on an off in the day not like summer/rarely ever comes on except for night

consider you guys' reef tanks and all the pumps and motion devices and heaters and the degree they have to work...compared to my fishbowl setup basically which is one air pump and a tetra heater for a 10 gallon tank from wal mart.

I only get one 24 hour run from 100% to 5%

that's crapola but dang I can't find any cheaper 500 watt-hour packs. it costs me $412 to be able to battery-carry a pico reef for one day. my gas powered igen 2200 westinghouse from amazon was $500 bucks and carries a full size fridge, very large, plus reefbowl plus five cell phones charging as much gas as we need to cycle through it.

that being said, setting it up is a hassle. this jackery can be set out and handle any 24 hour period for my pico reef even if I'm not home to connect it, kiddo could connect it for me. so I'll keep it. but that stings, I thought I could get three days on a childs bubbler setup for 1 goldfish pretty much lol!

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full report on Amazon's $400 Jackery 500 lipo backup

full charge

loading test from 100%: only running one airstone bubbler and one tetra preset heater that runs 78 degrees, a bit cool outside so the heater for sure cycles on an off in the day not like summer/rarely ever comes on except for night

consider you guys' reef tanks and all the pumps and motion devices and heaters and the degree they have to work...compared to my fishbowl setup basically which is one air pump and a tetra heater for a 10 gallon tank from wal mart.

I only get one 24 hour run from 100% to 5%

that's crapola but dang I can't find any cheaper 500 watt-hour packs. it costs me $412 to be able to battery-carry a pico reef for one day. my gas powered igen 2200 westinghouse from amazon was $500 bucks and carries a full size fridge, very large, plus reefbowl plus five cell phones charging as much gas as we need to cycle through it.

that being said, setting it up is a hassle. this jackery can be set out and handle any 24 hour period for my pico reef even if I'm not home to connect it, kiddo could connect it for me. so I'll keep it. but that stings, I thought I could get three days on a childs bubbler setup for 1 goldfish pretty much lol!
Sorry — didn’t read the whole thread but you can try doing a DIY project if you have an Ecotech pump/return. I did this and got 40+hrs from it, YMMV on a MP10/40. Good luck

Thread 'DIY Bootleg "EcoTech" Battery Backup'
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diy-bootleg-ecotech-battery-backup.945396/

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**my usage is like this: 70 watts when heater and bubbler is on, then average of 10 watts running when only the bubbler. 70/10 cycling several times an hour, still think it could go 40 hours knowing that pull average?

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested if anyone actually has a DC solution that runs heaters for a reasonable amount of time.
Marine deep cycle 12v battery hooked to AC inverter -- maybe a day max?
*best bet is obviously a generator

I just had a 15 hour outage (that I knew was coming) and lived through it without heat:
-- a couple of battery-powered Penn-Plax bubblers with air stones (would've run forever)
-- Old EcoTech 12v battery backup through 12v boost converter to run Nero powerhead at 24v (no problem with juice leftover)
-- Blanket over tank I believe helped; tank down to 72 degrees F at 1am when power came back on

Back