Storm Season among us. Power outage readiness!!!

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading all these post worries me lol. I work at a hospital so during the hurricane I'm forced to work 24-72 hours until the all clear is given. And nobody will be at my home at the time..

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 16 k propane for the daytime and a 3000 Honda for at night. I live in the Caribbean and after last year you can't be too prepared!!
IMG_20170828_160454.jpeg

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a note of caution, when running a small inverter to power a heater and or a power head off a typical car battery that's in a car, run it only for 15-20mins tops. Start the car at that time to recharge the battery.

If running an small inverter off just a fully charged battery, with a light load on it, typically the battery will last 30-60mins before it needs to be recharged. Completely drained battery will take some time to recharge using a charging unit off 110v.

On a car, of course, this means plenty of gas to run the car to charge the battery back up. You wouldn't want to drain it completely and have no way to start the car as well.

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of battery packs? Lithium usb, the kind used to charge a phone?
It's just a marine deep cycle battery with a power inverter attached to it. The inverter only has 2 plugs on it. I just call it a battery pack. I believe it is a 2000w inverter which turns DC power in to AC power.

Fragtory

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon everyone, I wanted to make this thread to give myself and others who live in Florida and other outlying states who are affected by hurricanes and other storms which can leave us without power for days to weeks at a time. I am still newish to the hobby and I haven't had my tank up and running long so I haven't experienced a power outage lasting longer than a few minutes while the tank has been up and running. Anyone who has a good plan of action that will work on the smallest to largest sizes of tanks. I myself have a 25gal lagoon. I already have a bubble box and extra batteries, and frozen bottles of water to help oxygen levels and water temp. Any other tips or tricks to help your aquarium survive is greatly appreciated. Also I understand a generator is the best option probably, but I live in an apartment and don't have storage space for one. Thank you to all who post and happy reefing everyone, stay safe during this storm season.
Good afternoon everyone, I wanted to make this thread to give myself and others who live in Florida and other outlying states who are affected by hurricanes and other storms which can leave us without power for days to weeks at a time. I am still newish to the hobby and I haven't had my tank up and running long so I haven't experienced a power outage lasting longer than a few minutes while the tank has been up and running. Anyone who has a good plan of action that will work on the smallest to largest sizes of tanks. I myself have a 25gal lagoon. I already have a bubble box and extra batteries, and frozen bottles of water to help oxygen levels and water temp. Any other tips or tricks to help your aquarium survive is greatly appreciated. Also I understand a generator is the best option probably, but I live in an apartment and don't have storage space for one. Thank you to all who post and happy reefing everyone, stay safe during this storm season.
Very good question and usually over looked. What i do is use a deep cycle Marine battery and a inverter hooked up to my DC powered return pump its will run for 3 or 4 days with no problem. No noise no gas. If power stays off for longer ill use a battery bubbler eventually i will buy a cheap harbor freight solor panel to keep battery charged...

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a lot of long term options for an apt . Best 2 are the propane generator & the portable solar panel . I have a large gas generator That will run just about all I need in my house .

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got gas and generator and tons of beer....
I would say I am set!
Hey neighbor!

We just moved to Florida in April. Bought a house about 8-10 miles north of Melbourne. I'm jumping back into the hobby after a 6yr break.

We bought a 9500w generator. I have yet to install the transfer switch or build a suicide cord. We've got so much to do with a new home, I'm just going to run extension cords to a couple refrigerators and some lamps this year. As for the tank -- it's not full of water yet, and I have a ton of stuff to buy. I doubt I'll have it filled with water before the end of the storm season this year, so not a lot of worries about the tank yet. We live near a hospital and the neighbors claim we're on that same portion of the grid. In 18yrs they've lost power once, for only 3 or 4 hours. Apparantly, the hospital grid gets high priority.

Last edited:

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not many suggestions for people that live in Condos/Apartments...
Most apartments and condos have an outdoor closet on the balcony or patio... not all though. A little 2,500w--3,500w portable generator easily fits in a closet outside... along with 10g of gasoline to power it for a week. Won't stink up your house or cause a gas vapor explosion if it's in an outside closet. They're cheap at Lowes.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 52 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 23.1%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%
Back