Storm Season among us. Power outage readiness!!!

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last year after Irma, we were without power for 3 days. I just used a battery powered air pump with a stone, opened the windows to help keep it cool, and stirred the tank every 3-4 hours. I didn't have a single loss.:)
What size tank and bioload lasted on a single air stone? I have battery powered pumps that auto start when power is out. I have always wondered how long that would keep my tank alive? I have a 100 gallon with 2 tangs / pygmy angel / large wrasse / blue spotted puffer / 3 chromis.

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 16 k propane for the daytime and a 3000 Honda for at night. I live in the Caribbean and after last year you can't be too prepared!!
IMG_20170828_160454.jpeg
I am having generac come to our house in 2 weeks... is that an auto start generator? My fear is power out when I am on vacation. If home I can start my generator. If not home it will be a sad story.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am having generac come to our house in 2 weeks... is that an auto start generator? My fear is power out when I am on vacation. If home I can start my generator. If not home it will be a sad story.
You can buy them either with or without an automatic transfer switch. I bought mine with a 200 amp transfer switch. It is a lot cheaper to buy them together as the switch by itself is almost $1000. When the power goes off, the generator starts up about 10 seconds later. It warms up for about 10 more seconds and then the switch kicks in and powers the whole house. I have my apex plugged into a ups so nothing really loses power as the ups can run no problem for the 20 seconds it takes the generator to kick in.
1545942665497.jpeg
1545942692306.jpeg

Brad Shook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made one of these for all of my nano tanks,
Parts list:
Emergency light
Small dc air pump

Replace one or both of the lights with the air pump.

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 22kw getting installed to run my whole house on Monday. I have been wanting one for a while as I live somewhere the power goes out frequently although not in the last 7 months. That is a large generator but I need to also run my septic pump and well pump so I figure might as well power the whole house. It was about 3000 dollars difference to go from 7 kW to 22kw installed and the install includes a whole house surge protector. I hope the power does not go out this weekend before it is done with this huge storm coming through.

So, if the power does go out, and I have no batteries, just a small small battery powered air stone, what can I do? How long does my tank have? I am thinking it is totally screwed in 12 hours. Longest power outage in my neighborhood was 3 days 6 years ago.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 22kw getting installed to run my whole house on Monday. I have been wanting one for a while as I live somewhere the power goes out frequently although not in the last 7 months. That is a large generator but I need to also run my septic pump and well pump so I figure might as well power the whole house. It was about 3000 dollars difference to go from 7 kW to 22kw installed and the install includes a whole house surge protector. I hope the power does not go out this weekend before it is done with this huge storm coming through.

So, if the power does go out, and I have no batteries, just a small small battery powered air stone, what can I do? How long does my tank have? I am thinking it is totally screwed in 12 hours. Longest power outage in my neighborhood was 3 days 6 years ago.

You will love the 22kw generator! Mine was installed last October and it provides so much peace of mind.

In the meantime, if your power goes out, there are a few things you can do manually. The most important thing for corals is flow, so periodically stirring the tank water will really help the corals. As the water temperature starts to drop, you can use warm water in a plastic bag or plastic bottle floating in your sump to substitute for a heater. Just be sure to use a thermometer to make sure the tank water doesn't get too warm.

Once you get your generator, I'd still recommend using a small battery backup to keep things running until the generator automatically kicks on if you're using an Apex or other type of controller. The generator will not provide a 100% seamless cutover, so you'll want the battery to keep things running for that 30 - 60 seconds before the power is switched to generator.

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will love the 22kw generator! Mine was installed last October and it provides so much peace of mind.

In the meantime, if your power goes out, there are a few things you can do manually. The most important thing for corals is flow, so periodically stirring the tank water will really help the corals. As the water temperature starts to drop, you can use warm water in a plastic bag or plastic bottle floating in your sump to substitute for a heater. Just be sure to use a thermometer to make sure the tank water doesn't get too warm.

Once you get your generator, I'd still recommend using a small battery backup to keep things running until the generator automatically kicks on if you're using an Apex or other type of controller. The generator will not provide a 100% seamless cutover, so you'll want the battery to keep things running for that 30 - 60 seconds before the power is switched to generator.

Have you had issues with the one minute turnover such as the apex losing settings or screwing up the light settings? I was going to let this go figuring I turn things off longer than that for a feeding.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you had issues with the one minute turnover such as the apex losing settings or screwing up the light settings? I was going to let this go figuring I turn things off longer than that for a feeding.

My battery backup keeps my entire Apex system running during the 60 seconds between the power going out and the generator turning on, so the lights and pumps just keep running the whole time. My battery can last about 3 minutes or so with everything on, so I don’t bother shutting anything down.

Last edited:

Scott Ulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 tanks and finally got a generator this winter when power went out for 2 days. The first 12 hours temp dropped so quickly, cold here in ohio... I was boiling water to dilute and add to try and keep the temps close to 70F. I don't think the fish would make it through the night so I went out and bought a generator. I wish I wouldn't have waited until an emergency. I understand that living in an apartment probably not an option, but for everyone else there is really no substitute.

joeyamador

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon everyone, I wanted to make this thread to give myself and others who live in Florida and other outlying states who are affected by hurricanes and other storms which can leave us without power for days to weeks at a time. I am still newish to the hobby and I haven't had my tank up and running long so I haven't experienced a power outage lasting longer than a few minutes while the tank has been up and running. Anyone who has a good plan of action that will work on the smallest to largest sizes of tanks. I myself have a 25gal lagoon. I already have a bubble box and extra batteries, and frozen bottles of water to help oxygen levels and water temp. Any other tips or tricks to help your aquarium survive is greatly appreciated. Also I understand a generator is the best option probably, but I live in an apartment and don't have storage space for one. Thank you to all who post and happy reefing everyone, stay safe during this storm season.
To all.. I have a generator that is key start... However, I also have a large power inverter in my truck that can run quite a few things.. it is quieter than a generator and my diesel truck can run for almost three days if I'm not driving... food for thought in an emergency and it is cheaper than a generator. Redundancy!!(works best with a 12 gauge extension cord to limit voltage drop.) Fyi
Next house we build we are investing in the Tesla battery for the house with solar charging capability so we can do away with the generator..

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been through a lot of power outages here in florida. One of the most economical solutions is to buy a deep cycle 12v battery, a trickle charger for that battery, and a portable 12v livewell pump. Will run for hours and hours, if not days. If power outage outlasts your battery then take it and charger to friends house and recharge.

This is definitely apartment friendly

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Not many suggestions for people that live in Condos/Apartments...

Deep cycle 12V battery and an inverter - want to be super safe pickup a sealed acid type battery

Ebay has some nice huge PowerSonics rated at 100+ Ah, should last a while with powerhead in the tank or small return pump.

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Lost power a week or so ago for 4 days. I would
have lost everything. At the end of the day this didn’t cost much more then then the tank. After Sandy it was the best things we ever did.

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marina Battery-Operated Air Pump

Would this be enough for a 40G AIO have 6 fish and tons of corals... Since I work at a hospital im forced to stay there for 2/3 days so my tank will be unattended. Light wont be an issue since I can open the window.

Once the all clear is given I can tend to the tank and change the batteries every morning if needed. Ive read that gas exchange is more important then water flow?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back