Storm Season among us. Power outage readiness!!!

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well luckily hurricanes move slow, we have way more time to prepare than say a tornado.

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just UPS'd my return, skimmer, and reactor... Basically the whole sump... Cyberpower 1500 ups. Need to test how long it would run the sump for in the event of a power outtage.. I can easily remove the reactor (aquamax f-rs Pump power consumption: 2.8 - 6 Watts) and skimmer (reef oct 150int power consumption 18w) if need be but those pumps are only sip power... the return pump is a rio 3100 which pulls 73w... I am thinking about swapping the return for a Fluval SP2 @ 58w and the same gph. The rio came with the tank and has got to be four years old or more..

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I can’t afford a generator usually is a few days to week until I can borrow one. But I’m with you plenty of beer and my tank is in a room that has direct sunlight through one window but not close enough for direct. It will be an interesting hurricane season.

You can get a generator for under $500. $400 for one that is more than enough to run a reef, your fridge, computer and a few other things. Especially if you only run what you absolutely need for the reef.

I'm betting it would cost that much just to replace the coral and fish.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get a generator for under $500. $400 for one that is more than enough to run a reef, your fridge, computer and a few other things. Especially if you only run what you absolutely need for the reef.

I'm betting it would cost that much just to replace the coral and fish.

But you really need to be careful on if it is a standard generator or an inverter generator, or even a hybrid. Normal generators wreak havoc on pumps and electronics.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But you really need to be careful on if it is a standard generator or an inverter generator, or even a hybrid. Normal generators wreak havoc on pumps and electronics.

Interesting. I've never had to use mine. So like surges and such?

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A regular generator does not provide what you would call clean AC voltage. It is not a pure sine-wave. Because of this I used to have pumps make horrible noises. There was not way they were not being damaged. Since I just got started back into the hobby I went ahead and picked up a hybrid model, a Champion.

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon everyone, I wanted to make this thread to give myself and others who live in Florida and other outlying states who are affected by hurricanes and other storms which can leave us without power for days to weeks at a time. I am still newish to the hobby and I haven't had my tank up and running long so I haven't experienced a power outage lasting longer than a few minutes while the tank has been up and running. Anyone who has a good plan of action that will work on the smallest to largest sizes of tanks. I myself have a 25gal lagoon. I already have a bubble box and extra batteries, and frozen bottles of water to help oxygen levels and water temp. Any other tips or tricks to help your aquarium survive is greatly appreciated. Also I understand a generator is the best option probably, but I live in an apartment and don't have storage space for one. Thank you to all who post and happy reefing everyone, stay safe during this storm season.
I wish I read this before Sally. I’ve got power, but apparently, no one else does. Still scrambling. I don’t mind helping, but it’s only a 75 gallon tank! Wow! I’m figuring it out, as we go...
Thank you, I’ve definitely learned, for next time.

nynjacricket

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 90G Leng Sy ecosystem tank setup uses a UPS backup battery to run the return pump and Tom's aqualifter pump for cyphen for the three hour outages. For long term, I have two Ecotech Marine batteries chained together to run one Ecotech Marine MP40QD power head for up to a week. This just keeps the water surface breaking for gas exchange and water flowing through the rock. I can accept extended darkness in the worse case scenario.

1601834299236.png
1601834364427.png
IMG_20200822_191113_Bokeh.jpg

Last edited:

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon everyone, I wanted to make this thread to give myself and others who live in Florida and other outlying states who are affected by hurricanes and other storms which can leave us without power for days to weeks at a time. I am still newish to the hobby and I haven't had my tank up and running long so I haven't experienced a power outage lasting longer than a few minutes while the tank has been up and running. Anyone who has a good plan of action that will work on the smallest to largest sizes of tanks. I myself have a 25gal lagoon. I already have a bubble box and extra batteries, and frozen bottles of water to help oxygen levels and water temp. Any other tips or tricks to help your aquarium survive is greatly appreciated. Also I understand a generator is the best option probably, but I live in an apartment and don't have storage space for one. Thank you to all who post and happy reefing everyone, stay safe during this storm season.
16021792790688959257043651425247.jpg
these can save you for about 1or2 days

Ksull72487

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back-up generator always best option.

Since you have a nano, a good alternative would be a window for light and a battery powered air-stone.
Yeah the Nanos are easier. You could do a Goal Zero battery pack etc or a air stone. Pumps are only a few watts. Today’s leds aren’t much either. Forget trying to power a heater tho.
Right now my Fluval Evo 13.5 is consuming 38.6 Watts. That’s with a protein skimmer, circulation pump, return pump and lighting heater is currently off.

38.6 Watts. Back in day aquariums were way more than that Nano or not. A return Pump is probably 8-16 Watts. So a good goal zero could last you a while. Air Stone will help with livestock won’t do much for corals as many
Of them need light and flow. I would suggest buying a kill a watt meter or something similar. This way you can figure out what the tank uses. Plenty of battery packs on market today. The emergency Ariator really is kind of obsolete unless your fishing.

Probably the only thing I like about the Evo aside from its price point. It does a bare minimum job for nothing on usage.
A60A876C-9CDE-4B33-839B-9DFEE5B49C23.jpeg

Last edited:

ioarnunz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an inverter and an extension cord. In the worst case scenario I can connect an inverter to my tank or borrow one of the smaller generators.

Konacorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!! Great info! I live in Loxahatchee, it’s outside of west palm. My biggest fear is losing power, then losing everything in my 2 tanks.. it’s a Different breed having tanks in Florida during hurricane season.

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So.... fun fun fun.... I had two three hour power outages within five days (Southern California) , the last one on Saturday and my little Cyberpower 1500va battery was finally tested... I had to unplug all of the sump items except for the return pump to maximize battery time and in the end I was able to make it through each powerless event with roughly 50 mins left on the battery.. whew. I have another UPS which I was ready to swap in in the event the outage ran longer.. I think that's the way to roll for me with only the return pump on battery... the draining action and then surface agitation at the return back in the tank should keep O2 in the water... sort of a minimum state but functional. It was still a bit stressful I have to say lol.

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No power for an hour so far. High winds in Michigan have knocked out power for over 100,000 people right now. Have 4 tanks running right now, my display and frag plus 2 quarantine tanks. Luckly I have a generator that is running them; both QT tanks have everything going and the display is running it's pumps and heaters while the frag tank is running everything but not lights.

Hopfuly we make it through this as a non-event.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No power for an hour so far. High winds in Michigan have knocked out power for over 100,000 people right now. Have 4 tanks running right now, my display and frag plus 2 quarantine tanks. Luckly I have a generator that is running them; both QT tanks have everything going and the display is running it's pumps and heaters while the frag tank is running everything but not lights.

Hopfuly we make it through this as a non-event.

Power “cycled” 6-7 times here in Cleveland...... crazy winds, no prolonged outages at least......

I would take drastic measures, but at this point, I’m just in the planning stages, as I want to get a generac whole-house system, but hoping to sell and buy another house within a couple years, and I don’t want to do it twice.

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny because ever since I got put on the back order list for the Briggs and Stratton Fortress Standby 12kw generator I had two multi hour power outages. Maybe when I started it didn't make sense but now with easily a few grand in livestock it seems like good insurance. Wife got sold on having the kitchen remain running and master bathroom ;)

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Electrician here... have a manual transfer, 30 amp backup, ready for Ontario winter ice storms etc. Obviously aquarium is on it but also twinned it with my sump pump( 3 marine batteries) battery backup....at least will hold everything for a good 12-24 hrs if the fuel runs out.

Spkarim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So.... fun fun fun.... I had two three hour power outages within five days (Southern California) , the last one on Saturday and my little Cyberpower 1500va battery was finally tested... I had to unplug all of the sump items except for the return pump to maximize battery time and in the end I was able to make it through each powerless event with roughly 50 mins left on the battery.. whew. I have another UPS which I was ready to swap in in the event the outage ran longer.. I think that's the way to roll for me with only the return pump on battery... the draining action and then surface agitation at the return back in the tank should keep O2 in the water... sort of a minimum state but functional. It was still a bit stressful I have to say lol.
It sounds like you would get less than 10 hrs from that UPS running the return pump. Does that sound right?

I am thinking about that UPS but would want more time. I have a 12v battery and air pump but also looking for something automatic.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back