StPatrick's 80 Gallon rimless SPS tank. V3

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, yeah look at all those frags!! :tongue:

I still think about this stand for my next build. I love how the stand looks like it's a piece of furniture, not just a stand built to hold a tank.

OP
OP
Stpatrick

Stpatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. Here is a long over do update.
[video=youtube;LC7vxJth1e8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC7vxJth1e8[/video]

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stpatrick

Stpatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This should work if the one above dosnt.
[video=youtube_share;nk6-lPXd4tA]http://youtu.be/nk6-lPXd4tA[/video]

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome work on the stand and canopy!!!

Wow man, I love what craftsmanship of your stand and cabinet - looks perfect! Your new setup looks very nice and you have a pretty amazing collection of Acros. Now that you have gone T5, I suggest increasing feeding slowly over the next 6 weeks...whilst keeping a close eye on PO4 and NO3, try keep those two in line whilst increasing the food input. Dont feed the same stuff 3 times a day, add a variety of foods... Basically LARGE food input + LARGE waste output is what you need.

I really liked your old tank: The scape was awesome...yeah that was a sweet tank.
IMG_9862.jpg

Will be following this one as well.

OP
OP
Stpatrick

Stpatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long time know update. I have a video cooking right now and will post shortly. Here is some pics I took a couple weeks ago

RR Red Bull, Excalibur, Pick Floyd, Orange Passion. You can also see my STP Flash Gorden, pink mille, forest fire digi, ice fire, and lots of high end stuff in the back :gossip:

Poletti's Yellow Tip, Pink dragon tails, BC Blood red millie, Tixic Tort, JF Blueberry Stars, then behind that I have the RR Ausi Gold. My Fav...

Pro Corals Rianbow

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stpatrick

Stpatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my reef as it looks today. It has been up for 9 months now. Hard to believe it's only been nine months. Everything was grown from small frags/colonies. Things are growing great. I am using the 8XT5 ATI power module. I am so happy with it. I think it's the best of both world. T5/LED hybid. Sorry for the blue. It is not this blue to the naked eye. I took this video with my iPhone. Also, nut sure why the red LEDs look like they are blinking. They are not blinking to my eyes....

[video=youtube_share;k5j5X92gz_8]http://youtu.be/k5j5X92gz_8[/video]

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stpatrick

Stpatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow man, I love what craftsmanship of your stand and cabinet - looks perfect! Your new setup looks very nice and you have a pretty amazing collection of Acros. Now that you have gone T5, I suggest increasing feeding slowly over the next 6 weeks...whilst keeping a close eye on PO4 and NO3, try keep those two in line whilst increasing the food input. Dont feed the same stuff 3 times a day, add a variety of foods... Basically LARGE food input + LARGE waste output is what you need.

I really liked your old tank: The scape was awesome...yeah that was a sweet tank.
IMG_9862.jpg

Will be following this one as well.

Hey Sahin,

Ha ha. I just saw your post from october :) Great input. I agree. I did increase my feeding allot. My PO4 is low - .03 and my NO3 is undetectable. Should those two numbers be higher for coloration? I am finding my color to be pretty good on most acros.

Uh, I to miss that last tank. It was a perfect size. I should have not listened to the wife and just keep it and set it up in the new home. :cry:

macscale

Ok.. Ok.. I'm Obssesed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the whole po4 no3 at higher levels for color theory, and in my old system there was no big difference.

OP
OP
Stpatrick

Stpatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I used my camcorder today to get this new video. I was also turned on to Lightroom. These are the most true to life colors I have ever gotten. Pretty cool program.

[video=youtube_share;n9BB7fPg1zs]http://youtu.be/n9BB7fPg1zs[/video]

gidenski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build explanation and results! I'm really a big fan of how you did the sump in the cabinet as well. Living here in Europe, space is at a premium and I want to save as much space for display as possible. For your canopy, how are you finding the heat expulsion (not in regards to the tank, but the lights themselves). Was thinking a similar hybrid setup/canopy design, but with holes on the top to protect the electronics from prolonged heat.

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great! Loving the colours you are pulling from those acros. :)

With regards to PO4 and NO3, what I said in last years post was that you basically increase feeding , whilst keeping PO4 and NO3 close to what they are (ie without chasing numbers too much, but not letting things get out of control). Corals in a 50G tank with 10 fish fed nicely will look much better than corals in a 50G tank with 1 fish even if the PO4 and NO3 levels are the same.

Have a look at Richards tank (runs 400w Radium with T5 and LED=lots of light+high nutrients); he has awesome colours on his SPS.

macscale

Ok.. Ok.. I'm Obssesed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I used my camcorder today to get this new video. I was also turned on to Lightroom. These are the most true to life colors I have ever gotten. Pretty cool program.

[video=youtube_share;n9BB7fPg1zs]http://youtu.be/n9BB7fPg1zs[/video]

Wow love your video! The oranges are super vivid and beautiful!

OP
OP
Stpatrick

Stpatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build explanation and results! I'm really a big fan of how you did the sump in the cabinet as well. Living here in Europe, space is at a premium and I want to save as much space for display as possible. For your canopy, how are you finding the heat expulsion (not in regards to the tank, but the lights themselves). Was thinking a similar hybrid setup/canopy design, but with holes on the top to protect the electronics from prolonged heat.

Thank you so much. Lots or trial and error to get me where I am today. As for the canopy, I have about 1 inch open space on the right side and no top. The fans pull in through the vents in the right side of the light and out the top. I will post some pictures for you.

OP
OP
Stpatrick

Stpatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great! Loving the colours you are pulling from those acros. :)

With regards to PO4 and NO3, what I said in last years post was that you basically increase feeding , whilst keeping PO4 and NO3 close to what they are (ie without chasing numbers too much, but not letting things get out of control). Corals in a 50G tank with 10 fish fed nicely will look much better than corals in a 50G tank with 1 fish even if the PO4 and NO3 levels are the same.

Have a look at Richards tank (runs 400w Radium with T5 and LED=lots of light+high nutrients); he has awesome colours on his SPS.

Thanks again Sahin. Can you link me to Richards tank?

OP
OP
Stpatrick

Stpatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone. I had some requests to look under the hood of this system. Here you go. :) Next time I use a cabinet I will look for better quality. It's working great but it's really cheap particle board.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back