Can anyone help ID what this may be?

20220703_181055.jpg 20220703_181058.jpg 20220703_181110.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s bubble algae, and it’s considered invasive. General recommendations to get rid of it are emerald or pitho crabs, foxfaces, and sometimes tangs. Most people recommend the crabs or foxface though.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble algae. Take the rock out, and scrap it carefully away. Afterwards, rinse it in some saltwater to get rid of any potential spores. If it returns after being scraped off, a foxface or some pitho crabs may eat it. I hope that this helps!

OP
OP
mcgallagherc

mcgallagherc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble algae. Take the rock out, and scrap it carefully away. Afterwards, rinse it in some saltwater to get rid of any potential spores. If it returns after being scraped off, a foxface or some pitho crabs may eat it. I hope that this helps!
Would removing the mushrooms, throwing out this small rock and relocating to new rock be an option?

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm picking out bubble algae nearly every day and there's a lot of it in places I can't get to. My tank is only a 40g, so far too small for any kind of fish that's known for eating it.
I know I should pick up an emerald crab, but I'm worried about it going after my corals. I'm wish there was another solution to this problem.
One thing I've considered is picking up the smallest tang or fox face I can find and giving it back to the LFS as soon as it starts getting too big. But I'm not that thrilled with that idea either.

I have a feeling my best bet is going to be to pick up an emerald crab and letting it roam around the tank for a while. As soon as it starts going after the corals I could move it to my coral QT, since all the frags in there are mounted on racks suction cupped to the glass or on egg crates mounted on PVC pipes. I'm assuming it won't be able to climb the PVC or the glass so it should be okay in there.

I did pick up some Vibrant before I saw the Vibrant threads and ended up not using it, but I still have the bottle, so that's still a possibility as well.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would removing the mushrooms, throwing out this small rock and relocating to new rock be an option?

That would work just fine. Just be careful not to rupture the bubble while it's still in the water. Some say that they spread spores when they pop. I don't know of any concrete evidence for this, but be careful just in case.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back